User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Fire
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

cora ridge vent

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Gordy1

Is anyone out there having leaks with plastic ridge vent material

February 27, 2017 at 10:55 p.m.

Chuck2

The times I've discovered leaks with ridge vent have been due to improper installation where the ridge vent was installed flat on a lower slope roof like a 3 to 5 on 12. Sometimes it even has dipped in places where water puddles. When I install it, I always nail one side first and then push up on the other side a bit to make a nice peak and hold it in place before fastening the last side down with the nails so the water runs off toward the bottom of the roof on both sides. ;)

February 27, 2017 at 10:30 a.m.

wywoody

To expand on what OS said, if you have a ridge vent that has nothing in between the intakes on both sides of the ridge, the path of least resistance is in one side and out the other. The wind makes it through, the moisture, drips in the attic.

I have had success with Cora vent, but for tile it needs to be cut and adapted to make it work. It has the flexibility to be adapted.

February 26, 2017 at 9:42 p.m.

Old School

Gordy, Cora-Vent was the first ridge over ventilation system ,many years ago, and as Natty said, they learned a bit about it and then started to add the external baffles to direct the wind up and over the ridge and create a Vernuli affect to make a negative pressure at the peak and pull the air out. The problem is that it takes an intake at the eave to make this work. If the soffits are plugged, or if you have multiple intakes farther down the roof (roof louvers, turbine vents gable vents etc.) and you mix them, then the air will always travel the path of least resistance and sometimes that path is through the ridge-vent and into the building. Ventilation is complicated, and most roofers screw it up. Natty, I charge at least $10.00/ foot to install ridge vent, more if I have to cut it in.

February 26, 2017 at 5:31 p.m.

natty

No leaks because I only use the ones with wind baffles and I take the time to install them correctly. Any one that says they are easy to install has never done it right. Around here, no one seems to know how to do it.

Another thing- I never seem to charge enough because they are a pain.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MRCA - Banner - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2