English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
USG - Sidebar - Wind
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Concrete Ridge Tile - End Piece Missing

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Gerry

Two concrete ridge-cap are missing at end of ridge. All ridge tile ( V-Ridge ) are installed the same direction. Hip starter style tile at beginning of run. Missing ridge tile at opposite end. How do you properly complete installation of missing ridge-cap. Highly visible on church roof 12/12 slope- 3-stories up.

August 24, 2010 at 9:50 a.m.

Stephen1

I must be missing something from the description- maybe it's a regional thing.

Here- we don't seem much concrete tile- but there is a fair amount of of ceramic tile about- Ludowicci, etc.

Usually each end of the ridge has a fairly ornate termination piece-like a finial.

what I am thinking is- i would research the tile-find what the appropriate termination piece was supposed to be and supply those. the ones i am thinking of- I ususally get them from recycled roofs and they can be pretty pricey- $200-$400 or so apiece sometimes and I enjoy the challenge of tracking them down

stephen

August 23, 2010 at 8:35 a.m.

wywoody

OS's offers a good solution. With some brands of tile, there might be a bit of a taper built in to it or too tall of a profile and it might be better to make the filler piece out of the trim instead. I've noticed that when a manufacturer makes these pieces, they are named after some kind of pastry. I've heard them called donuts, cookies and pies.

Another alternative would be mortaring the opening. But you will be fighting gravity to keep it from slumping or falling. To fight that, get a roll of mesh from a stucco supply place and staple it on first for a base for the mortar.

August 22, 2010 at 7:16 p.m.

Old School

Get a lift and go up and measure. If you have one of the field tiles, you can cut a piece out of them in the shape of the end cap and drill a hole through it and fasten it on the end of the ridge. Normally, they will have a ridge board on the top that they fasten the ridges to, and that whould go to the end of the ridge where the cap piece will fasten to it. If you need to, there is a product called flexim that comes in different colors that will act as a bonding agent and filler to fill in around the cap to seal it.

August 22, 2010 at 5:09 p.m.

wywoody

Not enough info, does it have rake tile and what's the method of finishing off the rake? If they are mitered, on a 12/12, they would be high enough to tuck the ridge under them.

I think you got the name right when you called the piece hip starter-meaning they should be used at the bottom of hips and not at the end of ridges. But I understand you might have to match existing.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CC-Season5-UnlockingEfficiency-July11-Banner-Watch
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - Claim Free Consultation - Ad 3