User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Common complaints about installing metal roofing?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

Just thinking about it what are some common demoninators? We don't do much metal here in California but I have my heart set on a metal roof. What about an exposed fastener panel?

November 11, 2016 at 12:57 a.m.

jamiocker

I never had metal roof installed. But soon I'm gonna get cedar roof installed.

November 9, 2016 at 2:46 a.m.

WEHerdon

Hello, Well, having metal roofing is always a good idea for any home owner when it comes to replacement of your current roofing system. There are a number of roofing materials available like asphalt, vinyl, shingle, metal, etc., but metal roofing is something that is mostly looking for. It comes with a number of advantages, like durability, longetivity, energy efficiency and so on, which makes it most viable option for homeowners. We also had a metal roof installed in our house by the professional roofing contractors Fairfax, VA at http://stbremodeling.com/roof-replacement/which was recommended to me by one of my friends. The roofing is working quite well, except for it creates noise when it rains.

October 25, 2016 at 7:51 p.m.

tinner666

Go with a cleated roof system. Hidden fasteners. I wouldn't even consider anything else. The church at WTR has an EFS and in the morning, the metal screeches all through services as the panels warm up in the sun. You'll never hear that, or have issues with a HFS. :)

October 25, 2016 at 8:14 a.m.

Long Time Roofer

TTPF (through the panel fastened) metal roofing requires more maintenance than a concealed fastener (CF) panel. People talk about the screws tearing out, in 46 years, I've never had that happen except for tornadoes. They need to read an engineers' report. On TTPF panels, you are supposed to change the screws every 10-12 years. The neoprene washers dry out and loose their sealing properties. On roofs that we've put on 30 years earlier, we do find oblong screw holes from the movement of the panels from prolonged expansion and extraction. These roofs should last 50 years if they are maintained.

October 20, 2016 at 10:12 p.m.

Lefty1

Old School Said: Lefty, I believe you are down in Alabama. It is hot down there in the summer, but it doesnt get as cold as it does up here in Michigan in the winter. When the temperature varies from -10 degrees in the winter to 130 on the roof in the winter. the metal moves like crazy. It opens them suckers up in a period of years. That would be the biggest difference. With copper, the movement is 1/64 of an inch per foot for every 100 degree swing in temperature. On a 32 foot panel, that means that the length would be about 3/4 different between the hottest and the coldest times of year. Regular metal (steel) doesnt move quite that much, but almost. that tears hell out of the roofs unless it is allowed for.

I am in Pa. We only get down to 0 degrees. I have an exposed fastener roof on my office building. It is on there for over 30 years. Over the years a few nails have backed out. You will have this. Tore off a slate roof and installed it to the existing slats.

October 20, 2016 at 7:21 p.m.

Old School

Lefty, I believe you are down in Alabama. It is hot down there in the summer, but it doesn't get as cold as it does up here in Michigan in the winter. When the temperature varies from -10 degrees in the winter to 130 on the roof in the winter. the metal moves like crazy. It opens them suckers up in a period of years. That would be the biggest difference. With copper, the movement is 1/64 of an inch per foot for every 100 degree swing in temperature. On a 32 foot panel, that means that the length would be about 3/4 " different between the hottest and the coldest times of year. Regular metal (steel) doesn't move quite that much, but almost. that tears hell out of the roofs unless it is allowed for.

October 20, 2016 at 6:15 p.m.

Alba

Vickie the Boss Said: Just thinking about it what are some common demoninators? We dont do much metal here in California but I have my heart set on a metal roof. What about an exposed fastener panel?
Exposed fasteners are a no ,no. The metal moves , pops the fasteners out of place thus creating leaks.

October 20, 2016 at 5:44 p.m.

Lefty1

I would say the roofs that Old School is talking about would be more because of the installer error then the exposed fasteners.

October 14, 2016 at 8:25 p.m.

Old School

Metal takes a lot lot longer to install for one thing. It is harder to cut and the flashing work is a lot more than shingle roofing. It is more expensive too! The exposed fastener panels are like pole barn metal. Nothing wrong with it, but when you have extremes in temperature, the metal sheets move and they tear at the fasteners. You will see a lot of those type of buildings with caulk on every fastener to seal them from leaking after about 10 years. That is why for a more permanent roof out of metal you want the hidden fastener clips to hold it down, but to let it move without ripping the panel. A whole different ballgame.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Johns Manville - TPO- Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July