User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Close call at the power plant.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

clvr83

I landed a service job at a local power plant. The union guys weren't getting back to them, so I said 'don't mind if I do!"

Anyhow they had a bunch of standing water on the 12th floor, top of building. Drains were all plugged up. When I bid it me and the manager waded thru it all looking at problems

We went to service it and unplugged the drains and eliminated most of the standing water but a couple smallish puddles. My two guys were ther and had tore out a wall and were priming it for reinstalation. One was standing in a small puddle, and his hand grazed a furnace pipe, POW! We didn't have any cords plugged in but yet he got shocked hard. He was fine but shaky for a while.

Got an electrician up there and found an old box down low with a clump of large exposed wires, each as big as your pinky finger. Anybody that got on that roof in water was lucky. I'm just thankful nobody was really hurt. It has me a bit nervous about doing more industrial work.

August 7, 2016 at 9:18 p.m.

clvr83

Wow, what would you even talk about for two hours a day. And finally, remember to chew your food thoroughly before swallowing.

This power plant is damn near decommissioned because they stopped using our high-sulfur content coal so much. One wing is like a ghost town.

We had a bunch of paperwork and we all had to watch a 20 minute safety video. I'd heard that somebody would be watching us here and there, but it wasn't a renovation, just a bit of maintenance. At first I was very happy they didn't want a re-roof because I was worried about the loopholes, but I've reconsidered. I'd happily take it on, but no matter how I priced it, I'd be freaked out if I got it. 12-13 stories in the air pitch tear off woohoo!

August 6, 2016 at 10:20 p.m.

clvr83

I don't think so. They definitely have their reports filed internally but I don't know if they are required to report accidents to OSHA. They definitely take safety seriously.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Spanish Lunch & Learn Series
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2