User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

CIAK......Question about adjuster

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

CIAK....regarding my other post re: Hanover Insurance.

This adjuster is giving me such a hard time. I have had him on about 3 jobs in the last year and they were all aborted messes. This guy tried telling me a mod bit torch down was "just felt paper with tar on it" :silly:

Well on this job he is trying to get me to tear off a 3 layer 2 story for under $17 a sq per layer. He is paying $116 for 20 year comp/ no felt. The kicker is siding. He wants me to remove and replace siding but the soffit is over the siding....so he is wanting me to remove and on site store to replace at later date, all soffit, and you ready....he allowed me $1.40 per foot!!!

That is an insult and at this point I just want to meet him at the job and punch him in the mouth but since I cant do that, what are my other options?

This guy has pretty much refused to talk to me. It took over 3 weeks for him to respond to my estimate, and he just did that this week and responded directly to the homeowner and only added $99.00 to her adjustment.

How can I get this guys supervisors name? Can I file a complaint with Hanover? Can Hanover force the homeowner to use some jack legg that they call their "preferred contractor"? This lady is convinced she wants me to do the work, but my estimate is $20,000, which is about 20% cheaper than X Mate, Hanover only wants to pay $11,500.

Remove, store and re-install soffit....2 story house....$1.40 per foot, that would take an idiot!

What is a guy to do?

July 29, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.

CIAK

Perseverance triumphs over resistance. There are few adjusters who are first timers. The interesting thing is it took 3 adjusters 2 engineers 3 contractors to settle. I don't know all the details. With all the trades involved it appears to be more complicated than REAL adjusters. The insurance company,,, they want to pay$$$$ . One reason for all the professionals, keep the other profession out of the mix. Lawyers on both sides. Concrats on your success

July 29, 2010 at 8:25 a.m.

tico

RandyB1986 Said: Update///: Hanover paid the claim off my estimate. It took 3 adjusters, 3 contractors, 2 engineers and a lot of cussing to get this little job approved and paid.

The bottom line is..........Hanover/Citizens needs to hire REAL adjusters who understand how a house is constructed, and fire the dead weights that drag em down and make them all look bad.

these are highly trained and classroom educated people your talking about. they sat in that adjuster program for 5 days 12 hrs. a day and mastered exactamate in 2 sessions. they got more building experience shoved in than we got with our years of roofing,framing and CBS building hands on. i met some that knew the lick,yeah.yet I met many more that took the "course" then got shoved into Houston and then were told deny,just deny and exhaust.

July 29, 2010 at 7:57 a.m.

RandyB1986

Update/: Hanover paid the claim off my estimate. It took 3 adjusters, 3 contractors, 2 engineers and a lot of cussing to get this little job approved and paid.

The bottom line is..........Hanover/Citizens needs to hire REAL adjusters who understand how a house is constructed, and fire the dead weights that drag em down and make them all look bad.

July 16, 2010 at 10:51 a.m.

Jed

ssssshhh ciak. Adults are talking.

July 16, 2010 at 9:25 a.m.

CIAK

More dribble. They can not do anything they want . A contract is a contract. They constantly side with the customer . They want to close the claim not leave it open .

July 14, 2010 at 2:48 p.m.

Jed

insuranceroofer Said: Sorry if that last post sounded rude, but if you pick the brains of an insurance only company you can learn alot.

Must of the time after the job is complete, if the HO sends in the invoice even if it higher than what the insurance allower, the insurance company will pay. The insurance companies have no legal ground not to pay.

The insurance companies have plenty of legal ground not to pay. They have a contract that they can go to any time they want - and do anything they want.

July 14, 2010 at 1:12 p.m.

insuranceroofer

Sorry if that last post sounded rude, but if you pick the brains of an insurance only company you can learn alot.

Must of the time after the job is complete, if the HO sends in the invoice even if it higher than what the insurance allower, the insurance company will pay. The insurance companies have no legal ground not to pay.

July 11, 2010 at 12:10 a.m.

insuranceroofer

To be honest you would probably be better off closing shop and going to work for a roofing company that has an expansive knowledge of the insurance claims process. The laws governing insurance companies and policies etc. I have witnessed insurance companies paying double... yes double... I have worked for roofing companies who don't understand the insurance process and they get beat up all the time by insurance companies. I have also worked for roofing companies that beat up on insurance companies all the time...

July 7, 2010 at 11:01 p.m.

Dr. Rob

I agree getting the property owner on your team - 2 against 1 always wins! Play nice, firm, use exactimate and speak their language - beat em at their own game. Supplement the hell out of them repeatedly and keep talking to supervisors up the chain. Don't badmouth the insurance carrier to the homeowner - they made the decision to have hanover. if you have to get the agent involved -have the owner threaten to drop the carrier, etc...

July 2, 2010 at 3:37 p.m.

CIAK

Do any of us know what we smell like to our customers ? A spray may be helpful in the event we to get a face to face . Check it out . http://abcnews.go.com/Business/smells-profit-scents-stores-products-makes-shoppers-buy/story?id=11053555&cid=yahoo_pitchlist B) ;) ;) B)

June 30, 2010 at 7:32 a.m.

CIAK

If you do get a face to face this might work in your favor http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/60542/title/Social_judgments_take_touching_turns B) ;) :) :) B)

June 25, 2010 at 11:17 p.m.

jimAKAblue

RandyB1986 Said:

Well on this job he is trying to get me to tear off a 3 layer 2 story for under $17 a sq per layer. He is paying $116 for 20 year comp/ no felt. The kicker is siding. He wants me to remove and replace siding but the soffit is over the siding....so he is wanting me to remove and on site store to replace at later date, all soffit, and you ready....he allowed me $1.40 per foot!!!

What is a guy to do?

Just a little thinking outside of the box....

Is is possible to cut the siding at the underside of the soffit? Is is vinyl? That would be very simple to cut.

June 25, 2010 at 1:22 p.m.

tinner666

Oh yeah. I'm working on one of those now. The client ended uo $300.00 out of pocket, along with the deductible.

June 25, 2010 at 1:18 p.m.

tinner666

You're looking at it wrong. Your price is your price. Now, it's up to the HO to get enough so his/her out of pocket isn't twice the settlement. I deal with this all the time with adjusters. When they start getting quinky on me like that, I just say "Thanks! You just pointed out _____________ that I had missed. Hold on a minute........ Just add $1,365.00 to that proposal. And thank again." It works for me. And if I don't get that particular job at 1/2 price, I'm not missing anything. Why pay to work? :S

June 25, 2010 at 6:41 a.m.

CIAK

Randy I don't know how Hanover works as a company , I do know that the customer can complain about not getting the work done in a timely manner . The key I know you want to do this job . Your position is a good contractor wanting to preform a quality job . The insurance company wants to settle the claim please a customer and pay a fair price . Whats missing is customer involvement . Get the customer on your side . Have them call the insurance company and ask for the supervisor of said adjuster . Depending on the insurance company you may be able to speak with this person . If you get the opportunity . Be kind but firm on your position don't go off in a rant . Be ready to walk away from this job if it doesn't work out . I have delt with customer who wanted to beat me up on price . Treat it the same .

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2