User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick - June
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

cheap Homeowners

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Handnail

Went on a roof estimate a few days ago, like so many others, free of course ( who ever made that rule up should be shot)it was a 30 sq 1 layer rip 2 story with a 12/12 garage, i know whats goin on around here ! Contractors are workin for basicly free!I qoute the job at $240.00 a sq thats cheap as far as im concerned! But before you rip my head off, theres dudes around here workin for alot less then that! I live in Turnersville NJ South Jersey, anyone from this area should read up! This a- hole homeowner ask me more questions than my wife if i didnt come home for 2 datz, you know what im sayin? Well i take the time and give him the courtesy he deserves were all lookin to put food on the table and live alittle bit! Im thinkin this could hold me over till the next home run! I see the guy walkin down the street a day later and this smug MOFO ignores me, like im not even there! So later that night i call him up and ask him if he got my estimate? And if there were anything else i could do to help make him decide to go with me, and he replies i think your number was high and were going to get more bids. I explain to him that im giving him the bullet proof roof system, you know the one that GAF is offering with the 20 year nonprorated BS, and that hed better make sure that hes getting an equal deal or if hed like a cheaper system for his mini mansion id be willing to put #15 felt on no ice and water shield and 3 tab junk. he didnt care he just wanted a lower price, im loosing this job just like the 6 id bid prior to this one! This industry sucks, ive had enough of the foriegners doin my job and the local contractors basiacaly pimpin out the work to these scum bags!Ive been roofing along time and really dont know how to do much more! Im fed up with being low balled!The shingle manufactures keep raising their prices the insurance companys keep raising my rates! Hows a man supposed to make an honest living anymore?>>>

August 14, 2009 at 9:06 p.m.

Old School

It is all about "perceived value" Example A customer looking to buy oats. "how much are oats?" $4.00 a bushel for nice clean oats! However, if you don't mind if they have been through the horse one time, 50 cents a bushel!

The first thing that you have to do is to establish a value for what you do. If the customer doesn't value what you do, then price is irrelevant! If the perceived value is greater than the price, then the price is a bargin. If the opposite is true, you are not going to sell the job.

Would you rather buy a $10,000 mercedes that is in good shape and runs great, or a $1,000 ford that doesn't run and has bald tires? Well, the "ford" is cheaper! What do they want?

Don't try and sell, ask a bunch of questions and find out what they want. Don't waste your or their time until you know what they perceive as "value" Then, address that perception. That is selling!>>>

August 14, 2009 at 8:08 a.m.

dougger222

I have learned to ask several question to potential "cheap" home owners. If the answers lead me to think they are looking for the lowest bid the time spent on the roof and with them is as minumal as possible.

Have gone as far as to ask a few home owners this, "You don't have to answer this question but out of curiosity, are you looking for the lowest bid?". All answer honestly. Those ones I don't bother giving a price to.

When I lived in Southern Minnesota the most common response I got after shaking the home owner(s) hands was. "My lowest bid so far is $X,XXX can you beat it?" Very rarely did I pull the ladder out down there!!! Had one over the phone tell me his lowest bid. Decided to take a peak at the roof and just did a drive by. 50sq 10/12-$9K tear off, thanks but no thanks.>>>

August 12, 2009 at 10:08 p.m.

Handnail

Thanks for the advice! I have cooled off since i posted this. I will try some of your ideas in the future. Stay tuned!!!>>>

August 11, 2009 at 8:51 p.m.

Old School

Is this a great forum or what? Very good advice guys. Jooysey...You were not going to get that one anyway. Why get worked up over it?>>>

August 11, 2009 at 7:18 p.m.

OLE Willie

Hi, I do all residential and shingle work only so i can definately relate to what you are saying. However, as Mike M stated you are going to get calls from these types along with the higher percentage calls. Asking a few questions before going to do the estimate can help a lot in qualifying the customer. But even customers who "seem" to not be qualified will hire sometimes so i dont think they should be disqualified entirely. Instead what i like to do is ask a few questions like "When do you plan to have a new roof installed" and "Have you had a professional look at the roof yet". Depending upon the answers I will "prioritize" my leads instead of disqualify. If they say they want a roof installed this week or next week and they already have 1 estimate or more then i will get my arse out there asap and try to close this sale on the spot giving it as much time as is necessary to get the job done. However, If they say well we might get a roof maybe in a month or two then i will put that lead with another one close to it ( if i have one ) ( if not i will wait until i get another one close by ) and i will just do the bid as quickly as possible at my conveinence and get back to the more qualified leads asap. This is what keeps me from going nuts like you seem to be in this thread. When i handle it this way its no big deal to me if they dont hire. I didnt invest much anyway. You can lead a horse to water ( and that might take up a lot of your precious time ) but you cant make him drink if he's not thirsty. lol>>>

August 11, 2009 at 3:00 p.m.

Mike M.

IMO, a cheap homeowner, is exactly that, a cheap, (with 22 years to pay on his motgage yet) almost homeowner. These are the type, getting seven or more bids, for seven or more sets of specifications, (which they could care less if your installing top of the line, all they care about is the $$$$ they can save for their new bass boat or jet ski.) G et used to it, and selling to them, is like selling ice water to an eskimo, I don't care, mojo or no mojo. You are going to have at least 20% of your calls from these, thrifty (they think) type. All said and done they end up with what they maybe paid for, or refused to pay for, instead they pay a lawyer. These people aren't worth getting upset over, my guestimated opinion. Screw me once it's your fault, twice, it's my fault.>>>

August 11, 2009 at 9:35 a.m.

CIAK

Sales as prigz has brought to the front here . A skill an attitude that exudes confidence . A vibe . Man I know there are going to be ....... #@%& it . I can't keep a blanket on something I know and watch contractors crash and burn . You have to understand YOU !!! There is a tremendous need amongst us to be right . It is primal. Destroy it and you render a person immobile . The resistance to change is " anchored " in our percieved need to be right . The spot we are " anchored " to is very important , crucial to how we view things . Understand this spot if you don't already . Pick up anchor and move if need be . That's all I'm going to say right now about this . Your potential customers have huge receptors , parabolic ears . They have antenna tuned in to " YOU " and every tiny vibe you resonate . They can feel your attitudes . I've mentioned this before . It is a fact . Do not go into a sale with angst, neediness , you bastards are smug MOFO's etc . It is a slow death and a wrong place for an anchor .>>>

August 10, 2009 at 11:24 p.m.

pgriz

So, do you want to continue to chase after ungrateful, cheap prospects, or do you change the game? Are you set up to make money selling your work at the lowest prices? Probably not. (note, see recent threads/discussion on whether we are commodities). But there's probably some type of installation that you can do better than others. If the prospects for those installation will pay a proper amount, then that is the niche you need to concentrate on. If not, then you need to figure out which types of customers WILL pay your price, and for what type of work. But if you're competing with 200 other companies installing the same (from the customer's point of view) spec, then you either get used to very thin gruel, or you change the field to something where you have a much better chance.

The rote is: 1) Figure out what you are good at. 2) Figure out what kind of customer needs what you can do well. 3) Figure out what concerns they have that you can address. 4) Figure out the message that gets their attention. 5) Figure out how to present yourself that you become the only solution (ie, eliminate the competition) 6) Learn to listen to what they are saying and read between the lines 7) Figure out whether your approach requires a one or two-visit close, then CLOSE ON THAT VISIT. 8) Deliver on the promises you made and expectations that you aroused. 9) Collect and use their satisfaction to find more prospects among their friends, family, neighbours, as "birds of a feather flock together".

Others may disagree, but I NEVER leave estimates. My estimate is dumb and lazy. It can't figure out how to handle objections, and it just sits there. And since I haven't yet learned to teach my estimate how to be proactive, I have do it myself. ;)>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MRCA - Banner - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June