User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Caveat emptor

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

http://www.bkforum.com/archive/index.php/t-57593.html I believe this is happening now!!!! Anyone know about this B) :woohoo: :woohoo: :ohmy: :ohmy: B)

August 30, 2010 at 11:37 p.m.

Alba

lanny Said: . ---Come November it is time to take out the trash! The funny thing is that people have been saying that forever.The pendulum swings left and right and things stay the same.

August 29, 2010 at 7:32 p.m.

RandyB1986

Alba Said: Manufacturing nowadays is highly automated.Factories arent nearly as labor intensive as they were 40 years ago. Cheaper chinese labor doesnt or shouldnt shave much off the cost of the goods.I watched on TV how BMW makes the car engines.Just about everything was done by the robots.There was hardly a human soul on that factory floor.Now i understand that is better to make the engine in germany than having it shipped all the way from China just to save a few pennies on labour.What i dont understand is that why the americans think otherwise.The same logic applies to the electronics.Motherboards are printed circuits done by machines.All humans do is program the machines, package and test the products.I dont see why they should be manufactured in taiwan since it doesnt take too many people to oversee the production.

Who you reckon programs, builds and maintains them robots?!?! Without a well trained, highly educated, skilled human........there would be no robot. Without machinists, computer programmers, scientist, it just would not happen...so who made who?

And we all seen in America what robots can do when they malfunction and have no human watching them to intervene...Re: Toyota Death Traps.

August 29, 2010 at 9:35 a.m.

jimAKAblue

In the auto business, a savings of $.05 per piece is considered huge! The logic is that they have thousands of parts in a car and millions of cars sold so the money adds up fast.

August 29, 2010 at 9:32 a.m.

jimAKAblue

Alba Said: Manufacturing nowadays is highly automated.Factories arent nearly as labor intensive as they were 40 years ago. Cheaper chinese labor doesnt or shouldnt shave much off the cost of the goods.I watched on TV how BMW makes the car engines.Just about everything was done by the robots.There was hardly a human soul on that factory floor.Now i understand that is better to make the engine in germany than having it shipped all the way from China just to save a few pennies on labour.What i dont understand is that why the americans think otherwise.The same logic applies to the electronics.Motherboards are printed circuits done by machines.All humans do is program the machines, package and test the products.I dont see why they should be manufactured in taiwan since it doesnt take too many people to oversee the production.

The Americans don't think otherwise. The new American factories are run by technicians. The process is all automated. There are far fewer UAW members needed to produce a lot more cars. The era of the blue collar worker has passed.

August 28, 2010 at 10:04 p.m.

Alba

Manufacturing nowadays is highly automated.Factories aren't nearly as labor intensive as they were 40 years ago. Cheaper chinese labor doesn't or shouldn't shave much off the cost of the goods.I watched on TV how BMW makes the car engines.Just about everything was done by the robots.There was hardly a human soul on that factory floor.Now i understand that is better to make the engine in germany than having it shipped all the way from China just to save a few pennies on labour.What i don't understand is that why the americans think otherwise.The same logic applies to the electronics.Motherboards are printed circuits done by machines.All humans do is program the machines, package and test the products.I don't see why they should be manufactured in taiwan since it doesn't take too many people to oversee the production.

August 28, 2010 at 5:04 p.m.

Alba

How come Germany didn't lose its manufacturing to China?

August 22, 2010 at 11:48 a.m.

CIAK

I'm not going to commiserate with what appears to be a true story in Detroit. I will say I'm sorry it is happening. What I want to say emphatically is "Delightfully Different Dunedin, Deep Down in Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day". A Renaissance ,a rebirth is happening. Dunedin is alive with new and old restaurants and shops opening. Vibrant alive with people filling the restaurants and stores. Riding bicycles, walking, strolling with there partners and dogs. The main street and trails are wonderful. The Marina and parks are full with kids laughing and playing. People sitting on seawalls and benches watching Dolphins and Manatee, sunsets in the Gulf. Music of all genera, pour out from many venues along our Main Street and side streets that encompass the Downtown Core . This small little chunk of Paradise here on the West Coast of Florida must be in a time warp bubble. I love this town and it's artistic community. B) :) :) B)

August 22, 2010 at 7:53 a.m.

Stephen1

Twill, I absolutely sympathise with the spirit of your post- I really do- but the reality of the situation keeps getting in my way. I will give you an example: A couple years ago, I was swamped with work-and as winter came to a close I looked around for a young man to help me out- no experience needed and an excellent chance to begin learning a REALLY lucrative trade. A minister pointed me in the direction of one particular 19 year old-and his former football coach gave him an excellent reference

Keep in mind that I had plenty of work available-at a time the economy was in a death spiral. The young man in question had a job of sorts- he did some warehouse work- but his hours were being cut and cut and cut- he was down to about 2 shifts of 4 hours each /week-at about $7/hour

A physically fit young man-but no experience- I started him at $12/hour AND took him out and set him up with his basic work belt/pouch/hand tools etc.

He had no car- but since he only lived a few minutes from me- no problem- I would just pick him up each morning

] first couple of mornings- he was waiting for me on his front porch-after that I ALWAYS had to wait for him- usually just a moment or so- but EVERY day I was waiting for him

After a month or so- he called me up one morning and said he was at the hospital with his girlfriend who was giving birth to his baby- first I heard of it!

From that day forward- he could not get out of bed in the morning-EVERY morning a different hassle- he just couldn't get up and get to work

I raised 2 sons of my own- I know what having a baby in the house is like- but I also know- when you are a man your FIRST and most important responsibility is to provide for your children-and that means getting your butt out of bed and getting to work- Jerome just couldn't do it

you,me-everybody else on this board?- I imagine at age 19,starting out in life and a chance like this kid had-we would ALL be out there on that porch 5 minutes/10 minutes early every morning waiting for the boss to arrive- but not Jerome(BTW- Jerome lived withy his father-AND the father had a job working for the city street department)

I would LIKE to give a young man a chance- but I simply can't afford to take 19 year olds-and teach them the MOST basic things they should have learned when they were4-5 years old-like get out of bed at a decent hour!

Across the street fro my home- is a large and rather nice city park-it could be even nicer. currently the level of maintenace by the city is-every 4-6 weeks a couple guys arrive with tractors and mow

Federal stimulus dollars- city bulldoses some old and decrepit tennis courts and basketball courts and is building 5 spectacular new tennis courts and a pavilion- it's a parade of bulldozers,front end loaders dump trucks etc.

I gotta believe- for the same money-we could have hired a grounds staff of 3( 2 at $10/hour,1 at $12/hour-and they could have jobs for years and years and years and years keeping the grass cut, the paths edged, the beds maintained, the benches repaired, the lights changed, the trash picked up, the walks clear of snow in the winter etc.

there is so much work that COULD be done- but as a society we concentrate on allowing old white guys spend their days on idling Cat's belching diesel fumes into the air- than getting actual work done by young people.

all i know is- that I don't have any answers, LOL stephen

August 22, 2010 at 7:27 a.m.

CIAK

I'm with you Jim it's a natural observation psychic and intuitive perception ( gut feeling.) God given and natural to us when we are born. But what happens to this ability as humans grow and develop? What distorted the truth and dulled the senses. "idunno" I'm just a stupid roofer. Just a gut feeling. B) ;) :blush: B) :woohoo: :woohoo:

August 22, 2010 at 12:59 a.m.

jimAKAblue

I posted many, many advertisements in the help wanted section of the Detroit News. Often, I would include "no experience necessary, will train, EOE". Even though I was working less than 20 miles from the Detroit border, I rarely had anyone apply from Detroit. There were times I was working alone, framing 3000 sf homes and the unemployment rate for young Detroit males was close to 50%.

The Mexicans managed to walk 1000 miles to find jobs in our subdivisions but the young Detroit males couldn't drive, or take the bus, 20 miles.

None of this means anything. I'm just making an observation. I'm pretty sure the nanny state has a lot to do with it but I can't prove anything. I'm just a dumb carpenter.

August 19, 2010 at 10:38 p.m.

jimAKAblue

I grew up in a suburb contiguous to Detroit. I've read the Detroit News for most of my life. I still read it every day online at detnews.com.

The idea of creating farms inside the city limits isn't as farfetched as it sounds. If you'd like to get a better understanding of the situation, take a tour on Google Earth. Also, take a street level tour using Google Maps Streetview. You'll be shocked at how much vacant property there is in the city. You will find block after block of weedy fields with only a couple of ramshackle homes left. The value of the houses are very low. You would not have any trouble finding houses for 5k. I can't vouch for the value of them. They probably are worth far less than 5k!

The city has been plagued by unionism, cronyism, corruption, in addition to the normal challenges of any economy heading South. Dave Bing, the current mayor has extensive business experience and I believe he is the first mayor in my lifetime (57 years) that has truly had Detroit's best interests in mind.

One interesting fact about Detroit: the last major food store moved out many years ago. The entire 800k population has to shop at small food markets or travel outside the city limits to get to a major food chain store. The major food stores got tired of losing money because of greedy corrupt inspectors, high taxes, high rates of shoplifting etc.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS Trends 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
VaproShield - Sidebar - SlopeShield - Aug