English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Cash jobs

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Robby the Roofer

It was suggested that this should be a new post...I pasted my initial question from the "side work" thread. Here it is below.

I have a real interesting question to add to this post.......I have recently seen a trend of legit companies conducting buisiness on a cash basis..."a cash job"...is what they call it. It seems the most legit companies are lowering thier standards to compete with others. Anybody in thier right mind will never admit to taking such an action, but it is taking place.

I wonder how a wrong can be so right through these times.

>>>

September 10, 2009 at 9:33 p.m.

jcroofs

Well I'm a newbie on here but I have been in the roofing business (commercial) since I was 14 I am 29 now and own my own business. It is hard to be a reputiable business when you have the "truck bed ladder guys" who just do a really sorry job, and its always "cash jobs". To do a "cash job" is to lower your standard as a roofer and this lowers the standard across the board, I take pride in what I do on a job and if all others would do this the roofer would be respected more. Its time for the legit business owners who are professionals to stand up to the "cash job roofers" and to market proffesionalism. I get sick and tired of seeing wannbe roofers taking my jobs because they cannot come up with the funds or expertise to be a real roofer and therefore charge a cheap price, and in turn do a cheap job, then we all get the blame for it. Be a proffesional not a "cash jobber".>>>

September 5, 2009 at 2:34 p.m.

wywoody

A couple of years ago I ran an ad for help in the local paper. A journeyman roofer responded and listed 4 different companies as his past experience. I told him I would hire him, but since he didn't have any tile experience I could only offer him $14 per hour. He declined and went to his truck. Then he returned and asked me if the $14 would be in cash. I asked him if the other companies he listed paid him in cash and he said "all but Warners." That was a real eye-opener for me, as a couple of those had been around quite awhile. But now in the recession, the only one of those still around is Warners.

It's only anecdotal, but that experience would indicate that there is acually less cash work going on now.>>>

September 5, 2009 at 2:28 p.m.

kage

it aint right..but it is survival,so many yahoos out there :dry:>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Construction Solutions - Banner Ad - Where do you like to get your training from manufacturers?
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad