User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Cap metal

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Robby the Roofer

Can anyone tell me what the standard over lap for cap metal at the perimeter of a flat roof?>>>

July 19, 2009 at 6:20 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

As a Quality Control Manager, my job is to ensure every piece has been installed right. Some situations I know that I am right and when challenged, I research until my answer is proven right. I was recently challenged by a salesman that a 1/2 minimum to 2 inch over lap on the cap metal is acceptable (cap metal to cover a 2 x 2 curb). And I did not agree.

>>>

July 18, 2009 at 3:44 p.m.

CIAK

Rob If you have been challenged and past the test. What is the problem ? Was it a roof consultant or some other official entity ? Is there a system code or instructions that you are questioning ? 4" is more than adequate . I guess I missed the meaning of your question. >>>

July 18, 2009 at 3:30 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

It is a flat roof with a 2 x 2 and cant strip...The torch will terminate over and to the outside of the 2 x 2 perimeter. I have always ran the overlaps on the cap metal minumum 4-6 inches, I have been challanged that it is too much over-lap and 2 inches is aceptable.>>>

July 18, 2009 at 10:57 a.m.

Jed

CIAK Said: Forget all the opinions go to RAS133 here is a link [url]http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida3rdDraft2007/test_protocols/PDFs/Roofing%20Application%20Standard%20No%20133.pdf[/url] if you get questioned and you say butt so and so told me or yada yada it wont matter use this link .

Robby the Roofer Said: Can anyone tell me what the standard over lap for cap metal at the perimeter of a flat roof?

I don't see any mention of standing seams on flat panels in the question. How is the link provided pertinent?

>>>

July 18, 2009 at 10:04 a.m.

CIAK

Forget all the opinions go to RAS133 here is a link http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Florida3rdDraft2007/test_protocols/PDFs/Roofing%20Application%20Standard%20No%20133.pdf if you get questioned and you say " butt so and so told me or yada yada " it won't matter use this link .>>>

July 18, 2009 at 9:30 a.m.

Jed

Four inches. Standard. On to the roof and overlap, anything less will likely leak before long and is simply not strong enough. Remember, your perimeter metal is your first line of defence should the strong winds blow. If the edge metal fails then there is a real chance you will lose the whole roof.>>>

July 17, 2009 at 10:16 p.m.

builderr

aluminum/ copper? gravel cleat/ flat edge metal? continous cleat nailer/ face screwed? interlocking/ overlapped? >>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CC-Season5-UnlockingEfficiency-July11-Banner-Watch
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23