User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Built you own spray rig

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Tropical Roofer

Anybody every built their own spray rig?

I recently attended IRE and spoke with several liquid applied membrane manufacturers. I've got to admit the idea of spraying a real waterproof membrane is very appealing to me. From a sales perspective, I could offer an option that might be less expensive then having my competitor's Mexican crews do a complete roof replacement (often selling for less then half what I charged 20 years ago).

I met with a company that has a two component system that mixes the liquids at the tip of the gun and claims a cure time of 3 seconds.

I actually don't know how much plural component spray rigs are selling for. But, the last time I checked, I remember having sticker shock.

Has anybody on here built their own rig? What kind of challenges did you have to deal with?

April 18, 2016 at 3:17 p.m.

TomHay

Tropical Roofer Said: Anybody every built their own spray rig?

I recently attended IRE and spoke with several liquid applied membrane manufacturers. Ive got to admit the idea of spraying a real waterproof membrane is very appealing to me. From a sales perspective, I could offer an option that might be less expensive then having my competitors Mexican crews do a complete roof replacement (often selling for less then half what I charged 20 years ago).

I met with a company that has a two component system that mixes the liquids at the tip of the gun and claims a cure time of 3 seconds.

I actually dont know how much plural component spray rigs are selling for. But, the last time I checked, I remember having sticker shock.

Has anybody on here built their own rig? What kind of challenges did you have to deal with?

Well, I built my first one in the 1960's. Everything from Cold Process To Plural Component SPF and Polyurea

Some of my roofs are reaching 50 year old Birthdays.

Building of the rigs was nothing. The key was learning the limitations of the products and becoming a roofer, not painter.

My old company still sells fully set up Trailer Rigs with everything in the mid 20K range.

That aint sticker shock, with knowledge and a qualified crew you can easily make that back in one mid size job. :)

March 23, 2016 at 5:44 p.m.

Old School

Touche Mike, but the point is that you have to go and get the valves and all of the stuff and then put it together and wire it and ....You get the point. By the time you build 20 or 30 of them, you have to get better and faster at it. I would leave that work to the experts.

March 21, 2016 at 12:43 p.m.

Tropical Roofer

LOL. That's a spot on analogy. I wouldn't want to build a table saw unless they were selling for $100,000 and I was pretty sure I could make a lot of money with it and could build it myself for 10% of the asking price.

February 29, 2016 at 8:46 a.m.

Old School

Wow! Ambitious aren't you? I am sure it could be done, but then again I know there is a reason that the rigs are "built" and I am sure that there are better ones and inferior ones. It would be kind of like building your own table saw.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MetalForming - Banner Ad - Schechtl Free Installation and Training
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest