English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Boaters

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

Who else is a boater. THE LOVELY MRS CIAK and I are going to try and head out late this morning . I got a few things to do down at the building dept this morning . I have a lot that I want to build a house ( rental ) on. There is a new house being built just a few blocks away , It would fit perfectly one of the same dimensions on the lot . I'll head on down this morning at have a chat with my friends in the building dept . We started out this weekend ...... man , I pulled a " no , no ." Launched one of the power boats . Parked the truck and trailer . Went on down jumped aboard . Everything fine . Start out of the Marina ... OMG I forgot to put the drain plug in .... OMG OMG :woohoo: :woohoo: panic !!! Tied up to a piling got the plug in my shaking trembling hand leaning over WHEW .... Alright lets head out . Can't get her to plane motor struggling . This is not good . THE LOVELY MRS CIAK is concerned . OK , I head back in trailer up , Pull the drain , Head on back to the abode . Still draining when I get home . Figure I'll take a nap . Wake up still draining . :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :blink: Try again this morning . Weather permitting. ;)>>>

August 10, 2009 at 11:13 p.m.

Mike H

CIAK, 23' cuddy, and yes there are some great scenes to be viewed at the ramp. First time I took it to a public ramp on Lake Erie, even though I know full well never come off the trailer with the OD down, what do I do? Oh yeah, chunk my prop on the gravel pile created by prop wash, with my OD all the way down. The only good thing was that I purposely took my SS prop off before going the Erie. >>>

August 10, 2009 at 9:22 p.m.

wywoody

About a week ago somebody dumped an old 16' runabout in the parking area area of a place I walk my dog. Just setting on the ground, no trailer. If it's still there a couple more days, I'm gonna pick it up with my flatbed and dump it in a seasonal pond on my property, something to play pirates on with the grandkids. Hope this thread's still alive so I can talk mariner talk with you guys then.>>>

August 10, 2009 at 5:20 p.m.

CIAK

Yeah I need to do what prigz does . Thanks prigz .I been boating for quite sometime :woohoo: That is the first time it has happened to me . I remember telling other folks " hey put the plug in " . Karma . I'm not one to hide when I make a mistake . I'm the first one to admit , I of all people am not perfect . Sometimes , I love the madness of it all . I hadn't turned any of the auxiliary switches on . It was surprising and THE LOVELY MRS CIAK wasn't in a very fun attitude after that . Better to wait for another day . No big deal . ;) B) B) I couldn't stop laughing about it . THE LOVELY MRS CIAK didn't have the same humor at that time .>>>

August 10, 2009 at 3:49 p.m.

seen-it-all

CIAK: Actualy been on the water most of my life. Started out at about 7 or 8 years old when my Dad built a 12' plywood cartopper from plans (which I still have) Many fond memories of fishing many interior lakes in the Province of B.C.

When I moved to Vancouver Island in 1978 I fell in love with salt water fishing for salmon. Bought a new Bayliner1952 back in 1994 and traded that in last September for a new 2008 Campion Explorer 602 powered by a 150 Yamaha on an exterior pod.

We have made it habit over the past 15 years to do a pre-inspection trip before we leave the house which includes checking to see if the plug is in.

Our favorite location is Barkley Sound on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. The beauty of the West Coast is unbelievable. The fishing is also terrific. Hope to do more fishing and less work in the coming years.>>>

August 10, 2009 at 2:19 p.m.

CIAK

Doc THE LOVELY MRS CIAK and I might be taken you up on that invite . Mike I'm guessing you have a Sea Ray 180 . If I would have buried the motor in that kinda water it may have ruined it . If you have a sense of humor and can keep yourself glued down . The boat ramp is an improv. theater . Prigz I have a sailboat docked at the Marina . I figured that would be a romantic way of enjoying the water . It comes with it own set of do's and don'ts. + plenty of parts to buy and things to go wrong . Boating as anyone who is a boater understands comes with a double edge sword . For me being here I wouldn't have it any other way . Got everything set up early today to catch a sunset tonight with a really good friend , THE LOVELY MRS CIAK some wine . I love this place . It is so cool living here on the low end of the state . J/K Jet , Patty Cakes and if anyone's keeping score . :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ;) B) B) :woohoo: seen it all If ever there were a definition of boater it would be under loose . I can guess you don't very much . Otherwise you might not be saying that . Then again what do " i know " bout you . nutten . cepten you have some pretty decent post and topics sometimes . ;) and me " I'm officially plugging along now " B) B) :laugh:>>>

August 10, 2009 at 12:01 p.m.

roofdoc1

pgriz no pics, but I should carry a cam as this kind of thing happens to me all the time. Don't know if its just me or no one else admits it. If any of yall get down my way give a yell, I've got a nice air boat I CAN drive it. I'll show some of yall "yankees" the Florida marsh and some gators, it'll be a good time.>>>

August 10, 2009 at 11:46 a.m.

pgriz

Mike, sounds like you got the perfect boat for your purposes. Certainly the dudes in Hawaiian surf only use sit-on-tops. The advantages of a covered deck boat show up usually in cold weather and lumpy water.

Roofdoc, that was hilarious! You wouldn't happen to have any photos to share with your admiring (ahem) compatriots?>>>

August 10, 2009 at 11:38 a.m.

Mike H

Roofdoc,

That's good stuff. Sounds like the first (and only) time I got my wife to ATTEMPT to back the boat down the ramp with me in the boat. It'weren't good. LOL She has refused to EVER back a trailer up again with a crowd around.

Pgriz,

I never learned a roll. An ocean kayak was just so much simpler. Honestly, my 16' Perception Carolina was just downright dangerous in surf. About broke my neck in a roll. I got a 14' Ocean Prowler, sit on top. It holds my cooler, my tackle box, my rods, my snorkel gear, my beverage, and paddles fairly darn easy, turns easier than the carolina, I can get on in 4' of water with little effort, and can get on in deep water without rolling it with reasonable effort. And it surfs fairly well. I ain't no paddle-master, but I do enjoy it.>>>

August 10, 2009 at 11:12 a.m.

roofdoc1

Got ya beat. Loaded up the wife and kids Friday, jumped in the boat pulling out of the slip that was clearly to small for a 32 ft boat. But what the hell I can do it. Well after an hour my wife gets the tie ropes out of the props(under the boat) I have stitches that prevented me from going under. The Dock Master is a pretty patient guy, and vary helpful, he pulled the ropes we threw him and pulled us out of traffic and back into the slip where I promptly started tieing the boat back up. Dock master Steve came back and told me one of the guys laughing at me from shore was a caption and offered to give me some lessens on driving the boat with the two motors only. I checked with my gang and the were game, so what the hell. Sure I tell Steve that would be great as I have no self respect left, nothing to loose. After awhile a big fat guy wobbles over and introduces himself as Capt. Larry, this guy looks like Capt. Ahab I thought OH BOY OH BOY I'M GUNNA LEARN SOME SH** NOW. Some coaching and proper boater talk later we are pulling out of the slip. I found out he was a Capt. on a tug boat, and I'm guessing that it is protocol to run into everything in the marina. Dock Master Steve is now loosing his patience as he is pushing my boat off of a sailboat. After a group effort we get out of the marina with some really neat gouges in my gel coat. We go out to some markers and Capt. Larry gives me some pointers.(good stuff) Time to head back in and he is telling my wife that he had two heart attacks and knee surgery last year, and a triple heart bypass three weeks ago. Ok now can any one tell me if this guy dies on my boat, will my insurance cover this? Dock Master Steve is waiting on the dock for us and waves us in to a T head along the channel. He informs me that this will be my new slip, easy in easy out. (what a thoughtful fellow) All ended well and Capt. Larry told me to give a call anytime I wanted more lessons he would be happy to go with me.(nice guy) My kids hit the dock running and my wife would'nt even let me drive MY truck home.(WHAT THE HELL) Good times Goooooood times. MW>>>

August 10, 2009 at 11:11 a.m.

pgriz

So Mike, did you get the roll yet? I could suggest some professional instruction, but you'll have to wait till next year when she gets back from her little tour around Australia http://qajaqunderground.com/rolling-classes/. :)>>>

August 10, 2009 at 10:37 a.m.

Mike H

Never left the plug out of the old bass boat, but the Sea Ray has enjoyed that experience twice. It's way down there where I don't see it. LOL

Since you can't put the plug in without being outside the boat, and the water was quite stained, by the time I had it back on the trailer, I was taking water into the engine. The boat was a good 12" deeper than usual below the water line. Could hardly pull the thing out of the water.

I'm liking my kayak more and more all the time, too.>>>

August 10, 2009 at 10:27 a.m.

pgriz

Done that. Twice (I'm a slow learner). Now the drain plug is attached to the key and we don't put the key in until the plug is in its proper place. Also the first item on the on-board checklist.

But, we use the powerboat less and less. The thrill of going fast is gone, and hurrying to get somewhere just to get there seems to be going against the boating mindset that the journey is worth the time. So we get out either the kayaks or the canoe. More leisurely, see more things, get some exercise, see 'way more wildlife (both above and below the water), and no noise, no smell, no extra expenses (like gas and oil).

This past Saturday, the weather was good, the immediate chores were done, my wife and kids were otherwise occupied, and I went out for a leisurely paddle on Lake St-Louis. 23 nautical miles, 7 hours, 3,000 calories burned. Saw lots of boats of all kinds (probably over 200), visited several beaches, a wild-life refuge, did some wave surfing, and generally had a good, stress-reducing half-day on the water. At least for me, being on the water calms the soul and soothes the nerves. That is, until the kids with the jet-skiis start doing their ring-around-the-rosie at full throttle. Then I think dark thoughs about acquiring surplus stinger missiles.>>>

August 10, 2009 at 10:16 a.m.

seen-it-all

Don't you have a bilge pump? You use the term "boater" kind of loose. :laugh:>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway