User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Best Roofing Material For A Commercial Warehouse?!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

JuliaJ

I have a 15,000 sq. ft. flat warehouse in Michigan and I am wondering what the best roofing material is between PVC, EPDM and TPO?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

What are the pros and cons of each material for this climate?

Are there any experts out there with insight on this topic?!

February 22, 2017 at 9:15 a.m.

The SEAN

Fully adhered EPDM is your best and most economical choice. I am keeping that system going for over 30+ years right now. and they are inexpensive to repair when you have an issue.

February 22, 2017 at 12:00 a.m.

Mike H

TPO, now in its 4th generation has shown no history of lasting 20 years, let alone 30.

I addressed durolast in your other thread.

Fully adhered EPDM is a time proven good choice.

I'm very partial to a product called Fibertite. 36 years after installing our first roof, its still there. As are all but 3 of the hundreds of Fibertite Roofs we installed since then. None of the three were replaced because the membrane failed. It is the best. It is a little more expensive up front. It is a lot less over the life of the roof.

February 20, 2017 at 2:55 p.m.

Alba

If you have a lot of snow EPDM ishte way to go .

February 20, 2017 at 2:12 p.m.

JuliaJ

Old School Said: Is it flat or does it have some pitch on it? How many penetrations? They will all do a good job, but if it is wide open, I would recommend a 60 mil. EPDM. Fewer joints, and it can be fully adhered. Are you going to do it? Have you ever done flat roofing before? What kinds of tools do you have if you are going to do it? It isnt so much the main areas, but the detail flashing work that will cause you problems. How long do you want it to last. What you are asking is kind of like asking what is the best kind of car to buy. The short answer is yes

Thanks so much for the response!

Yes it is a flat roof, there is no pitch as of now. We will be ripping the whole thing off and adding a slight pitch for proper drainage.

I am most likely going to contract this out since I do more residential roofs. But I still like to understand all of my options. Are you familiar with Durolast? It seems like it is the best product for something like this, but aside from cost is there anything bad about it?

Do you have any recommendations?

I am aiming for it lasting as for 20-30 years.

Thanks again!

February 20, 2017 at 10:46 a.m.

Old School

Is it "flat" or does it have some pitch on it? How many penetrations? They will all do a good job, but if it is wide open, I would recommend a 60 mil. EPDM. Fewer joints, and it can be fully adhered. Are you going to do it? Have you ever done flat roofing before? What kinds of tools do you have if you are going to do it? It isn't so much the main areas, but the detail flashing work that will cause you problems. How long do you want it to last. What you are asking is kind of like asking what is the best kind of car to buy. The short answer is "yes"

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

APOC - Banner - 3x Points - June
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar