User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

bad to sad

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tico

the economy is bad right now,yeah folks are scared,I get it. I'm in the work lurch.I started my "career" in const. in 1968.first job was shoveling rock out of the bed of A pick-up into A wheel barrow.I was 9.my brother who was 8 pushe the 1/2 full wheel barrow to the porch addition.next job,was on the Zayres building on dixie.big repairs under the A/C units.pitch pans,re-set hardware.same for the old timey sign bases. I've been in this back breaking,man making trade for 40 years.from sticks to stacks,15-modified.you the bull bucket told you the pride of the roofer.Karnak,if you used the black bucket with the blue and white label you weren't A south dade roofer.you didn't have an airboat,or A hound dog and you didn't finish the day with A bud. you sold your job,or maybe had someone who called the wife during the day and they ran your calls. you couldn't leave the job.you were the final say. now,I'm on the other end.I understand economy.the secretary,the marketing and advertising. well now any and every co. it seems wants to put 20 people on the street.no storm,no real damage and they want them to pitch the "we can assess your roof,you may have damage from previous storms.we'll try to shove it in your ins. co's.arse" that is a sad state of affairs.if you've got legit leads,or have an ins. co feeding you leads for roofs that were in arbritration from the hurricanes,thats one thing. yet to send folks to the same neighborhoods over and over and harrass folks.you gotta be kidding me. when did this start? who started it?I am looking for A job.I don't have A problem networking,running leads,maybe see legit damage from the road,stop,knock and make contact. but to go door to door. "hi,I work for schmuckley roofing,your roof looks great,but can I still break it off in your bung"? and now const. co's are trying to hustle anything.can you imagime,you go d/d for 8 hrs. straight comm. sell one door knob and get 10 % .of 15 dollars.>>>

August 1, 2009 at 2:20 p.m.

tico

trust this twill59,I did not read what you wrote and go on defense. I'm the guy that want someone to tell me there's A boog on my face and I'll do it for A total stranger. old cuban sayin, yo no tengo pello en mi lengua.I have no hair on my tounge. your point was broad. I'm from miami,we have A few old family biz that are led by warriors.these guys roof. they know the trade. they treat their guys good. and do,have and as far as I can remember done good work.the are the kids of the old cats. they all shifted out.albeit 15-20 years ago.I'd like to see the next transition. >>>

August 1, 2009 at 12:45 p.m.

Miscreant

"hi,I work for schmuckley roofing,your roof looks great,but can I still break it off in your bung"?

Great line Tico :laugh:

Hail storms and a lot of people that are willing to lie their a$$es of have changed the industry, that's for sure.

We've had a few storms in the last few years, when we never had any before. Sometimes we have hail storms when we don't have hail storms.

>>>

August 1, 2009 at 11:30 a.m.

tico

it is a shame.very few co's. have working leaders as you described.sadly the parent wasn't as adamant about Jr. being physically or knowledgably adept as he was at the trade. Had I put together A co. and was in line to turn it over,crying boy would not have gotten it. when I lived in NC after the several hurricanes,I bought A barge to build docks. it had the propensity to become big.I had kinda done it on A whim. made good money.asked my son to come take it,learn and good luck.do you think? when he found out it was for sale he was wondering why I did not give him A perfectly running lucrative biz. it's no longer A trade,it's an industry. and,Oh,this industry has leaders. with sole beneficiaries.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

TAMKO - Banner Ad - Titan Product of the Year
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad