User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Attn: Newbies

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike H

There has been a lot of recent activity from new posters, and some of their questions have been met with smart-ass remarks, from me included. So, for you new folks, here's some pointers:

1: Introduce yourself before you jump on here and ask what many of us will consider to be a stupid question. We don't judge one's experience level, but there are certain business models that we despise. Showing that you are a real person, with real concerns will go a long way to getting constructive help around here. We are all willing to help, as long as you're not just some storm chaser looking to rape our neighborhood.

2: Be specific with your question. Provide details. Things like "How much per square" will get you shot down quick. We are professionals here and we price our jobs based on what the job costs are, not how many squares it is. There's nothing wrong with being a sub or being a new contractor, but tell us where you are and then let us help.

3: Earn some respect, don't just expect it.

4: Have fun, participate in threads that effect more than just your current need. If you become a regular around here, you'll probably start meeting others nearby. Personally, I've met at least 14 people that I knew no other way than from the RCS, from every corner of this country, plus Canada, and spoke on the phone with contractors from Europe and New Zealand. All because of the RCS.

This is a great venue. Use it, enjoy it, and share what you know, not just what you need.

BTW, it's good to have you joining in.>>>

July 26, 2009 at 2:43 p.m.

vickie

Consider it done!>>>

July 22, 2009 at 6:13 a.m.

Miscreant

twill59 Said: Quote me! QUOTE ME!!!!

There ya' go :laugh:>>>

July 21, 2009 at 2:59 p.m.

CIAK

twill59 Said: Quote me! QUOTE ME!!!!
Very wise twill ;) ;)>>>

July 21, 2009 at 1:54 p.m.

Talos4

I've been gone so long I feel like a newbie!

I got kinda lost with the first switchover and just fell out of checking in here.

I was surprised I could still login.

I've reviewed the newbie rules and I think I'm full compliance.

Although I'm not sure what I know really applies in my case :P>>>

July 21, 2009 at 7:31 a.m.

pgriz

Good idea - reveal yourself.

Remember - no man is an island, until he farts.>>>

July 20, 2009 at 1:31 p.m.

Dr.ROOF

...wordy...>>>

July 19, 2009 at 9:54 p.m.

egg

I was gonna quote Dostoyevsky myself and ask "Is a handsbreadth of life worth living? " but I got all lost in thought and wound up without any momentum. Whenever I think about price per square, forums, or the ultimate reliability of information I go blank like that.>>>

July 19, 2009 at 3:08 p.m.

Miscreant

Mike H Said: LOL Jed. As I read Miscreants post, I thought He must be talking about me .... cept for that 1000 times smarter on the phone comment.

I was going to quote Dostoyevsky and say, "Present company excluded. I always exclude present company." But man, that sounded Frazier Crane pompous.

I was really thinking about forums in general not just this one.

.>>>

July 19, 2009 at 3:02 p.m.

Miscreant

Jed Said: ......most of the time I wear any one, or all four of those hats....just depends if Im up on my meds..

Well yeah, now that you mention it, me too.

I suppose my very best posts contain all four at the same time or even more rarely , none.

.>>>

July 19, 2009 at 2:59 p.m.

Mike H

LOL Jed. As I read Miscreant's post, I thought "He must be talking about me" .... 'cept for that 1000 times smarter on the phone comment.

>>>

July 19, 2009 at 12:24 p.m.

pgriz

I vote we ask Vicki and Steve to put Mike's entry as the "terms of use" that new posters must read before signing up. And a reminder for some old-timers that like to occasionally spout the odd flame or two.>>>

July 19, 2009 at 12:19 p.m.

Jed

......most of the time I wear any one, or all four of those hats....just depends if I'm up on my meds..>>>

July 19, 2009 at 12:10 p.m.

Miscreant

Wywoody hits on some important points. Take everything you read on a forum with a grain of salt (and perhaps some lime and tequila).

So far everyone I've spoken to is about 1000 times smarter on the phone or in person than they are on the forum.

You're going to have to invest some time on the forum to determine whom to listen to. Many speak from the wisdom that comes from experience, some are well intentioned but don't know they don't know what they are talking about, some are pompous self aggrandisers and some are a danger to themselves and others.

You better find out who is who before you start asking what is what.

.>>>

July 19, 2009 at 11:47 a.m.

CIAK

wywoody I think the overhead topic answer most of the busines and the price per square question perfectly. ;) ;)>>>

July 19, 2009 at 9:48 a.m.

wywoody

Even though it's just a couple of months since I will have been on here for two years, I still consider myself a newbie. I am still learning the dynamics of the info offered here.

While 'how much per square?' straight out didn't get the desired response, rephrasing the question would have. For example, "I'm charging $120 per square for 30 year comp, is that enough?" would probably have gotten responses. (I have no clue as to whether that price is reasonable)

One thing about prices quoted here, you have to understand that this is a type of bizarro world on here. Being able to claim the HIGHEST price is what looks impressive to other roofers. I can see how someone relying only on this forum could feel helpless. They are constantly being underbid while reading people on here claiming to get higher prices than their losing bid. I'm not saying everyone does it, there are some on here the are remarkably honest and candid about their prices, (Lanny comes to mind) but I would bet that most of the people quoting prices have done work for 15 to 20 % lower than they are claiming.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad