Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

ASTM D 3161 UL 2390 ASTM 6381class H ASTMD7158

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

These are codes for 110 + wind uplift . They have been assigned to 3 tab shingles . First I have heard of it . Anyone have any info about this and what does it mean exactly ? I never knew 3 tab shingles came with those type of wind ratings . " i dunno "

October 9, 2009 at 7:15 a.m.

CIAK

Robby What I was getting at : Contractors would insist that the manufacturers warranty was the bench mark for the wind uplift . Consequently the warranty was used to up sell homeowners to a 30yr shingle . A supplement would be filed with the insurance company . At this point the claim is assigned to a supplement adjuster . Most supplement adjuster are inside working with estimating programs . State and or local high wind uplift was sited for upgrade , The shingles have been tested for the high wind and passed .Argument over . Three tabs are except able

October 9, 2009 at 2:20 a.m.

egg

bump

That's not what he was getting at, Robby. Every one of the shingles I saw on that Texas list passed at 130 mph, three-tabs included.

October 4, 2009 at 9:22 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Is your argument that insurance adjusters will not pay out for product blowing off that has been tested by ASTM standards at 110mph? If this is to be the case, then adjusters will catigorized the roof as workmanship related? No one should be suggesting a three tab where 110mph sustained winds anyways!

October 3, 2009 at 5:06 p.m.

CIAK

After more research and conversations it is almost official . The stormers and or roofing contractors trying to upgrade homeowners and insurance companies to a dimensional type roof shingle because of the wind uplift , " sorry." Especially in Colorado and Georgia . Most adjuster are now up to speed ( pun intended )on the wind uplift standards FWIW . It may still work to some extent . I may be called in to give a seminar . B) :laugh: :laugh: B) :woohoo: It also is meant to give FYI and update/ on current conditions .

October 3, 2009 at 10:49 a.m.

CIAK

egg Said: Im wondering why you believe this warrants a separate thread from the one you just started CIAK. Perhaps it would be helpful if you gave us a little background on where and under what circumstances you encountered this issue and what relevance it has for you. ...have been assigned... means what exactly? That there are shingles that have qualified? That three-tab shingles must now meet this standard? Whats the context?

Are you talking about this: http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wind/documents/ashglcnf08ibcircrev031009b.pdf

ASTM does not do codes. It does testing standards. Code may require products to meet certain testing standards. Meeting a testing standard does not mean a manuf. is required to warrantee its product in any specific way it chooses not to. I can meet a 200mph test standard but only offer you a 100 mph warrantee. (see the Malarkey quote in the other thread: 110 vs. 100) Conversely, even though it would no doubt catch up with me I could offer you a 200 mile warrantee (my prerogative) yet not meet a 100 mph testing standard (code.) Code does not involve itself with the warrantee. It specifies that a product must meet a testing standard. ASTM does not involve itself with code. It establishes testing standards. Related but different, if you follow.

(that type/those types)

It has many application to and about me . I'm on a constant learning curve . At times I realize my life is on the narrow end of the bell curve . I thought ( subjective ) I knew most everything there was to know about Residential roofing shingles. It hit me like a kiss on the end of a wet fist . " Smack " right between my windows " BAM " .. " CRASH " smashing my view. " POW " I had no idea three tabs had a Metro Dade high wind rating . The Warranties as you eluded to are in the 60 -90 mph . Yet as I understand Metro Dade is a minimum of 110 ?? Trying to figure it all out in a practical utilitarian way .

October 2, 2009 at 11:11 p.m.

egg

I'm wondering why you believe this warrants a separate thread from the one you just started CIAK. Perhaps it would be helpful if you gave us a little background on where and under what circumstances you encountered this issue and what relevance it has for you. "...have been assigned..." means what exactly? That there are shingles that have qualified? That three-tab shingles must now meet this standard? What's the context?

Are you talking about this: http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wind/documents/ashglcnf08ibcircrev031009b.pdf

ASTM does not do 'codes.' It does testing standards. Code may require products to meet certain testing standards. Meeting a testing standard does not mean a manuf. is required to warrantee its product in any specific way it chooses not to. I can meet a 200mph test standard but only offer you a 100 mph warrantee. (see the Malarkey quote in the other thread: 110 vs. 100) Conversely, even though it would no doubt catch up with me I could offer you a 200 mile warrantee (my prerogative) yet not meet a 100 mph testing standard (code.) Code does not involve itself with the warrantee. It specifies that a product must meet a testing standard. ASTM does not involve itself with code. It establishes testing standards. Related but different, if you follow.

(that type/those types)

October 2, 2009 at 8:56 p.m.

Old School

Boy, now that is really technical!

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

TAMKO - Banner Ad - Titan Product of the Year
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2