User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Are you a commodity?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

pgriz

We've been talking about prices in several threads. The is a link, in some peoples' minds, between price and cost. If the link is a stong one, then you've got a commodity. If the link is weak (inelastic in economic-speak) then you've got a luxury product. There is a continuum of pricing between the commodity and luxury. Where do you think you are? And why are you there?>>>

August 12, 2009 at 7:49 p.m.

CIAK

Thanks twill If I approach this the way I think I might . The liabilities would be put on the H/O's permit and H/O's property insurance . I'll hook up with my counsel this week and go over some of it . It 's not working for free, I think as this thing develops I'll be able to convince some of the more stable company's to join in " maybe " . Interesting hmmm>>>

August 12, 2009 at 4:23 p.m.

CIAK

When would commodity stop becoming commodity ? This question popped in my mind while visiting a couple locale suppliers . The word free . I mentioned it earlier in this thread . When would free indicate a charity where could it stop being a charity ? Where is line between humanitarian philanthropically and business ? Is there one? I went in and had a good chat with my friend a manager of this branch . I asked a few questions of him about the inventory stock and what is it that he does with it. Now , that brought another question to my mind . How could I help some of the distressed H/O's and how would that benefit anyone else ? The more I think about this the more it is becoming a business plan . What great P.S.A. and community recognition . Turning " free " into an empire . Maybe aaaaa hmmmm This could turn into something some of the locales roofers may not like " i dunno " maybe they would. I can see the resistance and angst . A scab moving in and cheaper prices ?????? Turning free into an industry . Is this crazy or can any of you catch the buzz .>>>

August 11, 2009 at 6:25 p.m.

Mike M.

Ciak, Not trying to pull anchor on this thread, your right , this should be a new topic, I wasn't referrring to the business approach, merely stating , that if you did not love roofing , or work hard at roofing, and have a deep desire to succeed at this trade, you never would have learned any business strategy. You are right, most are born with this , but they sharpen it only through experience, making some bad decisions , and learning from them, and making some good decisions, and remembering them. Adjustment may be the keyword, learning how to adjust , may be the difference.>>>

August 11, 2009 at 4:16 p.m.

CIAK

Mike M. Said: I believe the one word you are looking for is glory, or at the least recognition, your not just in it for the money,or you would have never climbed a ladder in the day, you became good at it , better at it, one of the best at it., it took sweat, working to just get by, it took from sun-up, to sundown, you didnt realize it then, you just liked it, and it paid the bills, and you had a job. Then you noticed after ten years, the big roofing companies were assemblyline operations, and the craftmanship, just did not look right to you, and you knew , you could do it better. You had the desire, the hunger, the skills, the backbone, and the need to be the top gun, just like back in high school, on the football team ,or baseball team, you deep down knew, when your chance came, you would grab it by the horns. I could go on here, but I think you get my point. If you never felt like this, then I dont know why you got into the buisness to begin with, or why you stay in it, regardless, of come what may, hell or high water.
Mike You bring up a good point . I would ask the same question from a standpoint of " Are you a businessman " Is a businessman born that way ? Is it from the beginning a trait taken from the gene pool . Not everyone is cut out to be the craftsman in the craft . Not everyone is cut from the business silk . I don't know if this is a thread hijack or pulling up anchor and moving to a potential better place . If it's a hijack then lets start our own topic . If not lets go .>>>

August 11, 2009 at 4:04 p.m.

Mike M.

I believe the one word you are looking for is "glory", or at the least "recognition", your not just in it for the money,or you would have never climbed a ladder in the day, you became good at it , better at it, one of the best at it., it took sweat, working to just get by, it took from sun-up, to sundown, you didn't realize it then, you just liked it, and it paid the bills, and you had a job. Then you noticed after ten years, the big roofing companies were assemblyline operations, and the craftmanship, "just did not look right to you", and you knew , you could do it better. You had the desire, the hunger, the skills, the backbone, and the need to be the top gun, just like back in high school, on the football team ,or baseball team, you deep down knew, when your chance came, you would grab it by the horns. I could go on here, but I think you get my point. If you never felt like this, then I don't know why you got into the buisness to begin with, or why you stay in it, regardless, of come what may, hell or high water.>>>

August 2, 2009 at 3:40 p.m.

CIAK

Every single person on the face of planet , no matter what the language Is in love with the word " FREE " and we are all looking for it . From one point to the next . Always searching for " FREE " Incorporate that into your marketing " BAM " make it work.... Move over Rockefeller's were moving in . Nobody will be able to compete .>>>

July 28, 2009 at 2:54 p.m.

Miscreant

Once you have defined it and then found a way to easily describe it, you have begun the process of commoditizing it.

Luxury items are more ethereal.

If you can combine the two, you will have a license to print money. Lexus is a perfect example. Those guys are selling Toyotas for the price of a Benz.

.>>>

July 28, 2009 at 1:38 p.m.

egg

When Mike Tyson was biting Evander Holyfield's ear (at least I think it was Evander) he meant business too. That's exactly the problem. Doesn't really work.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 10:17 p.m.

CIAK

We mean business is a good one IMO>>>

July 27, 2009 at 9:55 p.m.

pgriz

Eric, I do not seek to burden you with the task. But it bugs the heck out of me not to be able to encompass the idea that we are all dancing around, in a simple phrase or even a single descriptive word. Perhaps, if we are to believe Shakespear that "A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet", we don't need a word since it should be self-obvious, and yet we find that the type of company we are talking about is an elusive wisp-o-will that flirts with your consciousness at the periphery of your awareness. There just aren't that many out there. In fact, they are as rare as diamonds, and just as valuable.

Chuck, I'm talking about a company that respects the customer, guides them in selecting the best solution for their specific problem, provides skilled and knowlegeable craftsmen that can turn the idea into a glorious reality that both owner and worker can take pride in, that cares passionately about both the technical excellence, and the esthetic beauty, that make promises and then delivers. These companies exist, any many of the forum posters are owners of such companies. These are companies with technical, esthetic and business integrity. So what descriptive term can we attach to such a company? In my mind, the words "integrity", "Value", "Dedication", and "excellence" seem to resonate around this elusive label. Maybe we have to sleep on it and let it ferment a little.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 4:35 p.m.

CIAK

The word boutique has become so blurred it is used to describe everything from a shop selling trinkets at a low price to franchise large established stores. Not very definitive . Paul what was it you were trying to establish . A word that would ....?>>>

July 27, 2009 at 3:45 p.m.

egg

Paul, that's a tough question you are forcing because it tries to encompass so many tangibles in one word. The word that comes to mind is 'weazoned.' (j/k) Humor is the back door through which I hope to make my escape. The thing is, the world of superlatives has been pumped so dry so many times that all the normal words one might think would work have taken on unwanted overtones. The only one that rings right for me at the moment is the word, 'comprehensive' but I know that one won't do. I'm going to have to beg off I think. Going through the horns of the dilemma is what Hay would no doubt call 'Da Game" and there's probably no single word that someone else wouldn't misapply to some other end. That's my guess and though I may try as I might to placate you by promising to think about it and come up with something later, I suspect I will most likely meet with failure and disappoint you. What we're shooting for is near the locus of the word "exclusive" but we all know that's not really it. Maybe it's not necessary to come up with a single word, but I appreciate the way your mind works nonetheless. Something good will come out of this inquiry somehow somewhere some way.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 8:00 a.m.

CIAK

In fairness , I'm not into this business full time. I have been . A combination of egg and prigz was a model for me back in the day. I bought a franchise MR BUILD . It was a marketing machine . I really believe it was the beginning of the end for my soul. I have mentioned this in previous replies . I was struggling to figure out a niche . Saw the international big is better model as the way to go. Residential, commercial . Tv advertisements ,radio jingles . print media, trucks, dress the whole package. I hired people to run the office and the business . I lost touch with what it was to matter . Just money. Now I'm back in a micro and very select customer base . I'm to old now to really go big and it is OK for me. I don't believe I need to be cleaver . Figure out strategies how can I get on top of this competitor etc. My customer hire me because they want to not because I've figured out a way to convince them smoke and vapors and mirrors . The wizard of OZ. Toto the dog pulls the curtain back and the wizard pulling all the strings says " don't pay any attention to the man behind the curtain " scene . When they call me one of the questions is when can you start. Life is much easier . The only reference to Mr Build other than locals who have or had invested huge amounts of money in the franchise model and decided to keep the name . In Washington State area there was a major project going on . It was similar in scope to the TV series where they go in and repair houses for whom they consider needed . Mr Build back in the day was a huge powerhouse. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1345&dat=19880825&id=F7gSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=2vkDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5752,1606195 This was the business model I worked with . Networking off every Mr Build in the U.S.A and International . We would have Mr Build Conventions etc.>>>

July 27, 2009 at 6:27 a.m.

pgriz

Put your mind at ease, Eric. I have used "boutique" only on this forum, and only to describe a collection of properties that go together. But your point is taken. However, given the reaction of your customers, I may have to do a little witch hunt to see if I can unearth any fops or faunthleroys wanna-bees... :blink: :laugh: :woohoo:

On a more serious note, what term could you think of that encompasses all the properties you mentioned, plus small size, specialization, and above-average rates? "Craftsman" certainly applies on an individual basis, but what term does one use for a company that epitomizes the best features associated with the craftsmen?

>>>

July 27, 2009 at 12:05 a.m.

egg

I have to butt in here for a second. My reason for doing so is not to quibble with you Paul, because what you have to say seems to me to be rock-solid at the core, but since we are talking about such things as marketing, slips of the tongue can be immediately damaging to sales. What we do not ever want to be seen as is a boutique shop. It invariably helps my case when I describe the nature of my service and emphatically stress that I am NOT a boutique shop. We can stress superlative service, extraordinary care, comprehensive protection, even a work force that reflects a cultured point of view and sensitivity, but what they want to hear at the end is that we understand our job is rough, tough, and understood, with nary a fop or fauntleroy among us. They are looking for rare, but not at all interested in boutique. I avoid that mindset like the plague. jmho of course.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad