User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Are any of you guys in the St. Louis Area?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

My niece needs a roof done in Arnold MO.and she contacted one of the shysters down there. I need to point her in the right direction. Old school

July 16, 2017 at 12:27 p.m.

Old School

No, that was for shingles! It is crazy!

July 16, 2017 at 11:41 a.m.

clvr83

Is that bid for a metal roof?

July 16, 2017 at 10:44 a.m.

Old School

Clover, 17 squares, 2 layers of 3-1's, inadequate ventilation, some spongy decking, 2 pieces of gutter and 4 downspouts. It was the "Erie" companies that gave them the spiel, and they are good at it. They are in Michigan too, and their claim to fame are the metal roofs. $1,000.00 a square 6 years ago all day long and there was not detail work a all. Unbelievable! Same crap, different day! I will write the spec, and I guess that there is an area of cathedral ceiling to vent and some bad wood to replace. It should be interesting to watch from afar. $ 21,000.00 for 17 squares is a bit much though.

The worst part is that what they were going to do was not going to solve the problems of the house. I personally have no problem with people getting what they can sell, but for gosh sake, it better solve the problems of the homeowner if it is going to bankrupt them.

July 16, 2017 at 9:35 a.m.

clvr83

Holy crap. I'd do it for less than 1/3 of that if it was closer!

Seriously. Holy crap. I need to charge more, but I do okay for where I'm at and insurance complains about my pricing already half the time. How big is it?

edit: I would feel bad about making that much money on an easy roof. Harder roofs got to pay though... I've been toying with the idea of buying a pallet of stainless steel nails (or any non-EG nails) and upselling those. Nails get rusty around here quickly.

July 16, 2017 at 9:18 a.m.

Old School

Thanks Clover. I am going to write a spec for her and have her get three estimates to match it. It is a simple gable 4/12 pitch, no valleys, so the easiest roof to do. She got one price for over $1,000/ square. Sheesh! Salesmen. We will see what happens.

July 15, 2017 at 10:26 p.m.

clvr83

I'm about two hours away. I have dealt with a guy in STL, bought a hot kettle and some other stuff from him. I know he was Certainteed certified, but being certified by any shingle manufacturer doesn't necessarily imply you'll install a quality roof. This I think we all know.

Matt Ketner w/ MLK Construction - 2nd generation roofer. He seemed like a straight up guy and so did his Dad.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SOPREMA -   Banner Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand) New Design
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad