User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Anyone using Home Depot Shingles?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Leak Medic

Is anyone using those Timberline Natural Shadow shingles that Home Depot sells so cheap? And if so, are you in forming your customers that they weigh about 30lbs less per sq. than other standard 30yr shingles?

May 23, 2010 at 11:23 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Leak Medic Said: Is anyone using those Timberline Natural Shadow shingles that Home Depot sells so cheap? And if so, are you in forming your customers that they weigh about 30lbs less per sq. than other standard 30yr shingles?

Could you be more specific? Which 30 yr shingles are "standard"?

May 23, 2010 at 1:59 p.m.

CIAK

Hooo-boy. I gotta say, it's very difficult for rational people to understand such denial of reality . If it is explained to the customer what it is they are buying and the related problems, no problem .IMO As with the analogy of the new cars , They all have four wheels and provide us with transportation. Perhaps I don't fully understand what the question was . From my view point as I read it , simple know your customer and service them well . We must have been posting this at the same time egg. You are correct . Know what to say and how to say it . We set the expectation of our customers . Customer service is the key to success.

May 23, 2010 at 1:51 p.m.

egg

That is a mouthful, woody. Unrealistic price expectations are a hammer.

I don't remember whether I've shared this here before but here goes... I did a preliminary consultation with a client some years ago. She is a veterinarian, intelligent, reasonable, practical, with business savvy, fair, & no nonsense. Two months later, after discussing a multitude of options and alternatives, she settled on a plan and I gave her a contract. It was 8k for the work described. She looked a little startled when she saw the number and when I asked her if everything was ok she said, "I thought it was going to cost about 5. In fact, we had discussed options ranging from 5 at the very bottom to 10 at the very top. I just waited compassionately and finally she said, "It's my fault. My customers are the same. When I give them an estimate range they invariably remember only the lowest number. I think it's just human nature." Our job is to know that and not get tangled up in it.

May 23, 2010 at 1:24 p.m.

wywoody

The problem is, the customer sees the cheap shingle price and that's their baseline. They then assume that by buying wholesale, the roofer is getting an even cheaper price. It sets up unrealistic price expectations.

May 23, 2010 at 11:18 a.m.

CIAK

twill59 Said: To expound on that a little further, it lay it on the legit contractor to educate the consumer. Do the leg work. Get the consumer to understand a quality roof w/ quality products.

But HEY! heres some crap @ HD you can get to help price out the legit contractor.

I understand that is an unfair world. Does not mean I have to like it when someone is speaking out of both sides of their mouth.

At the end of the day, the Mans & Distributors are in the roof volume business and it is certainly a different hog to tie than most of us are doing.

TPO seems to be another situtation where they push price whilst speaking of quality.

All I ask is: Which is it?[/quote

The Lovely Mrs Ciak is looking at new cars. Same thing you mentioned applies here. Which car company ? All hawking warranties , all hawking quality , most all price. How do you choose. Loyal brand name ? Buy USA only ? Pay more for alleged better quality ? She is seriously looking at a BMW . We keep our cars till the wheels fall off most times. I'm trying to convince her to buy Lexus . Same with roofing. Marketing, most important customer service ( What that means to you will determine if your successful ) Not, IMO if it's Home Depot or what ever manufacture shingles. You know whaat your customers want .

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - May 2024 Unmatched, Unlimited, Uncompromising
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)