User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
USG - Sidebar - Fire
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

any tips?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

WildBill

I may bid on a flat seam soldered roof next week...It will be my fist one...I think we can do it now after taking that copper class (I posted some pics a few weeks ago on it).

The only problem is they are calling for the roof metal to be the 24 ga TSC II by Follansbee. The roof is about 10' x 10' and is on top of a clock tower about 45' high. It has a slope of 1 to 12 with gables on all four sides, so I will have to integrate valleys into the design.

Have y'all ever soldered the tsc II? And how well does it solder? I'm thinking the lighter gage 26 gage would be a better choise so that we could get tighter joints.

April 3, 2010 at 8:42 a.m.

copperman

Just go to Follansbee web site and read up on the solder and flux you are to use. It's a little different then soldering copper. The heat transfer is much faster so watch how hot your soldering iron is and how long you hold it in one place. 24 ga. is stiff to work and bend so add some for working with it. It's hard on your shears to. Will take the edge off of them.And Dennis price is a good start point. I would not go less working with that material. Hope this helps you.

April 3, 2010 at 8:12 a.m.

dennis

You mean TCS? Terne Coat Stainless?

Easy to solder. Fairly easy to work, but zinc coated 20oz copper would be better. min. $30/sq.ft.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23