User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
USG - Sidebar - Fire
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Any three tab shingles with 110 wind rating ?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

What makes the difference ? Is it the number of nails ? The sealant on the three tabs ? Can you peal a roof off with SA underlayments with out taking the decking with it ? Is there any manufacturer who states a 110 three tab wind uplift in their Manufacture material ?

October 8, 2009 at 7:02 p.m.

OLE Willie

The way the Bubba's and Jose's around here install roofs, 3-tabs blow off at 10 mph. We had a straight line wind storm in 2001 that registered as high as 99 mph winds in the worst area, and i think half the roofs in the metro area had shinlges blow off. lol Most areas were 30-60 mph. :laugh:

October 3, 2009 at 10:23 a.m.

johnny5

If you tab these dont use just any black mammy. Me thinks you gotta use the modified. Ask Jack legg if you can find him, Arrrrgh.

October 1, 2009 at 1:26 a.m.

egg

They are a modified. Pick up a bundle of those guys and they are Heavy. Anybody hovering near this board who called himself a member of the (what was it?) four bundle club (?) did not qualify himself by packing four of those up a ladder. I guarantee that. They make a beautiful green one I put on a Russian Orthodox church. Lay down and stuck very very well. I'm sure the wind rating info must be on his site. 110 is a tall order though. Maybe I'll go and check just for fun.

"...Flexible and workable, the Hurricane shingle can be applied in temperatures down to 0°F (-18°C). Underwriters Laboratories tests prove that after two hours of sustained 110 mph (177 kph) winds, the Hurricane suffered no damage. Malarkey confidently backs these tests with a 100 mph (161 kph) wind warranty...."

Can't imagine any of the other guys beating that, but 110, highly improbable... maybe by special arrangement and with extra nailing & tabbing & supervision/inspection? If you can work that one out, please do us a favor and let us know what it entails.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

WSCRA - Banner - RCS Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)