User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Any help for this...

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

This is a commercial roof I have to have repaired or replaced. Any ideas?

October 9, 2009 at 11:13 a.m.

elcid

That is quite a puddle. Doubt very much if an EPDM roof can survive too long under those conditions. The only BUR installation that could last would be coal tar pitch. The slope should be anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4"/ft. From your figures sounds like .1 - .16"/ft. Best economical solution is to scan the roof and locate wet areas of insulation. If area is less than 25% wet, do remedial work by replacing insulation,check all seams,and then consider tapered foam. Check w/ certified applicators, if EPDM is compatible w/ their product. If roof is more than 25% shot, tear off and apply tapered insulation w/ suitable BUR. There are other options. Check w/ Koppers Co. to see if they would bond a coal tar application, over corrected EPDM existing. Last but not least, check weight capability of deck.

September 29, 2009 at 8:48 p.m.

OLE Willie

NOt a commercial guy but i doubt if it needs to rain for that roof to leak for weeks! lol Seems to me that the drain solution might do the trick by itself if your lucky! :blink:

September 29, 2009 at 12:11 p.m.

Old School

I think you should just find the lowest point and install a drain there like Mike suggested. It is not that difficult with the schedule 40 pipe and for that matter a plumber would be glad to do it for you. That would do the trick!

September 29, 2009 at 10:05 a.m.

Jed

Randy, A scupper is an opening at the foot of a wall that is flashed in and allows the water trapped by the wall to flow into the gutter. Since the wall does'nt appear to be trapping the water it won't do much good in as far as I can tell by the pics. I don't see any gravel stop, it looks like L bend. Squeegees and muscle for moving the pond. Regarding the foam, it cannot be applied over the EPDM and because a completely dry deck is required for SPF, tearing off and going over with Densdeck would be my thoughts here.

Edit: I see what Mike is saying, yeah a four or five foot scupper tray running into that puddle would certainly help.

September 29, 2009 at 7:57 a.m.

RandyB1986

Man, I had to log in under a different name.

How is the best way to get water off roof? This is a furniture store and is full of new furniture. They keep the furniture on skids and covered with tarps when it rains :woohoo:

Old School it is tapered but the building is 150' long and 125' wide. They only have about 2' of taper from front to back and about 1' from sides to middle. Is that usually normal?

This roof is 80% dry and draining, it just cant get to gutter.

The thing that gets me is I can see spots where rubber has bubbled up under the water. And if I stick my finger down into the water, it feels like insualtion is wet and falling apart. I can feel depressions under rubber.

Anyone have any photos of scuppers in a flat roof? I am kind of lost. Am I correct in thinking a scupper on a flat roof is basically a gutter trough with rubber over it?

Sorry for sounding so foolish but commercial roofs are not what I do. I can count my flat roof installs on 1 hand. But the owners are very good people and I would like to be able to get this resolved for them.

Thanks! Randy

September 28, 2009 at 8:35 p.m.

Old School

What Mike said! It is not rocket science for gosh sakes. Get the water off and most of the problems will go away. Why didn't they install tapered insulation when it was first done? That is just stupid!

September 28, 2009 at 4:08 p.m.

RandyB1986

Looking Right....

Looking Left......

September 28, 2009 at 4:06 p.m.

RandyB1986

Steve, Thanks!

CIAK....Yes, this is real close to West Pike Plaza. How in the world did you know that?

The owners was hoping the leaks were something small but since it has leaks all over the store and a pond on top.....obviously it's more serious. This roof has leaks everywhere and the water is 3-4" deep.

Can you have foam roofing put on over rubber or do you have to tear off down to steel decking? Parapet walls are cracked as well.

Thanks guys!

Randy

September 28, 2009 at 3:43 p.m.

CIAK

Randy is that the West Pike Plaza , Indianapolis ? Looks like a roof pump might be in order .

September 28, 2009 at 1:16 p.m.

RandyB1986

How do I make these pictures bigger?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Hi Peak SIdebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July