User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Any experience with EcoStar products?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

fayetteroofing

I stumbled upon imitation slate and shake.. http://www.ecostar.carlisle.com/

Gives the real stuff a run for the money, but claims to be just as durable.. They offer a 50 year warranty on materials AND labor if you are "Gold Star Certified." Has anyone installed this product? I'm very attracted to it, considering its environmental-friendliness (80% is made from recycled material).. However, I imagine that it's a hard sale unless the H/O has the green to GO green..

November 16, 2009 at 7:19 p.m.

soldierboy

Of all the typos to have. LOL

tinner666 Said:
soldierboy Said Course, In a pinch to keep water coming inI used a garbage lid on a homeowners power fan. His blew off and I went out to do an emergency repair, instead of tarping it off I used his rubber maid lid, screwed it in and it stayed there for 2 years before he was ready to put in a new fan.. Funny what you will think of to keep water out of someones home.

I am not ashamed... LOL

Well make up yer mind. Do ya want it in????? Or out????

November 16, 2009 at 6:06 p.m.

tinner666

soldierboy Said Course, In a pinch to keep water coming inI used a garbage lid on a homeowners power fan. His blew off and I went out to do an emergency repair, instead of tarping it off I used his rubber maid lid, screwed it in and it stayed there for 2 years before he was ready to put in a new fan.. Funny what you will think of to keep water out of someones home.

I am not ashamed... LOL

Well make up yer mind. Do ya want it in????? Or out????

November 16, 2009 at 4:55 p.m.

soldierboy

Old School Said: You mixed it with real slate? Why not get real slate?

You wouldnt mix wood shingles with asphalt shingles: would you?

We had some laying around from an addition that we did. It is easier to get the fake stuff than the real slate where I am. Again, the homeowner was aware of how we were going to handle there repairs. They are very happy with the repair work and have recommended our company to others. In the long run that's what counts.

I would never put wood shingles down on a roof. Nobody will take care of them properly and I wouldn't want our reputation on something that depends on a homeowners motivation to do proper maintenance.

Course, In a pinch to keep water coming in I used a garbage lid on a homeowners power fan. His blew off and I went out to do an emergency repair, instead of tarping it off I used his rubber maid lid, screwed it in and it stayed there for 2 years before he was ready to put in a new fan.. Funny what you will think of to keep water out of someones home.

I am not ashamed... LOL

November 15, 2009 at 12:34 p.m.

Old School

You mixed it with real slate? Why not get real slate?

You wouldn't mix wood shingles with asphalt shingles: would you?

November 14, 2009 at 9:13 p.m.

soldierboy

We actually used it to mix in with real slate on some of the older slate roofs in the area. From the ground level you can't tell at all. From the roof, looks like slate with some plastic imitations. But, from a homeowners view it looks great from the ground. Since we don't walk on roofs it's all up to our discretion.

November 14, 2009 at 8:24 p.m.

Old School

Nothing look as much like slate as ....Slate. Go figure!

November 14, 2009 at 4:35 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

I never have, but I have been obligated in the past to raise a new product up to the customers to give them added confidence in the product. Never did like to do this, I always felt like I was cheating them. I always tell frinds and nieghbors.... " I would not suggest a new roof product unless it has been on a roof for at least ten years ".

Keep to the basics until then...comp, tile, and metal panels.

November 14, 2009 at 4:10 p.m.

copperman

Did a repair on a roof that was about 3 years old. Total junk! They were so brittle I could hardly get the nails out without braking the "slate" above. I think they will be just like supperdors and all the other fake slate that has failed. And as Tinner said the curling edges gives it that special look :blink:

November 14, 2009 at 2:45 p.m.

tinner666

I've installed it. Just mix and match bundles. The curled edges give it a rustic look.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Home Depot - Banner Ad - Supply the whole roofing job
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
The GLO Group - Side Bar Ad - You Are Only One Click Away
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar