User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Another siding question...

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

RandyB1986

I know this isnt a siding board....but you are a pretty sharp bunch with extensive knowledge of what to do. I got a house that has hail damage, the roof is being replaced by insurance but the adjuster wants me to just replace 8 pieces of aluminum siding, here and there.

What say you guys? Can you remove and replace individual pieces of aluminum siding without bending it or causing it to not lock back tight?

Thanks!

April 30, 2010 at 8:47 a.m.

RandyB1986

Thanks guys......I am going to write it up for total relacement and see what happens.

Would you guys say the same thing about vinyl siding?

I have had many adjusters trying to make me replace 5-6 pieces of vinyl siding on the side of a home....it never matches even close, and the homeowners are not happy. But Snake Farm policy says "not responsible for color matching".

Does this mean they can force the homeowner to replace pieces of vinyl....or can homeowner demand the entire side replaced to match.

Thanks!

April 29, 2010 at 8:02 p.m.

salesman1

i think i would make the insurance co take a piece of that siding send it in to their research department and make them find a match, before you start doing any repairs. it's their job to find a match not yours or the homeowners.Good luck :)

April 29, 2010 at 6:25 p.m.

builderr

the best way to do this repair, in my experience, is to start at the top, removing the existing siding down below the damaged area, and re-install, using material from a different area of the house,someplace that you wouldn't notice that it was done with brand new siding to replace what you needed to do your repair. swapping old for old and replacing old with new on an entire area. We do the same with roofing, removing good shingles from a never seen area to do the patch, and patching using new.

April 29, 2010 at 4:45 p.m.

copperman

The insurance Co. has an obligation to maintain the value of the home. With patched in siding how much does that "add" to the value? None! it takes away. So they must replace so all is matching and looks good for resale.

April 29, 2010 at 3:36 p.m.

copperman

Alum. is tough to repair. The way I did it years ago was to cut off below the lock and leave a 1 to 2 inch tab to pop rivet to. On the new piece to be installed I would cut off the lock strip but leaving it long enough to slip up under the old siding and rivet it together. You will never match the color though. To me the insurance co has to pay to paint all to match or the homeowner losses value. It's hard to believe that only 8 panels were damaged. Try looking at different times of day in different light you might see more damage.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MetalForming - Banner Ad - Schechtl Free Installation and Training
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July