User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Progressive Materials - Sidebar - Free Samples
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

another ?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

ROOFITRIGHT

first off let me thank you all for helping me on my other questions they were very helpful. here goes another. the same big client i have been working for has another leak over an office. i have tried 3 times to repair it to no success,i will put pictures up soon!the other day i noticed a plumbing pipe almost filled to the rim when it wasnt raining but it only leaks when it rains and that is the same area. i guess what im asking do you think that when it rains its filling that up and going behind the lead? now this is a flat roof but in this situation shouldnt make a difference.please give me your input because thats the only thing else i see to create a leak.

December 1, 2009 at 4:50 p.m.

robert

I was going to suuggest blowing on it! :laugh:

November 30, 2009 at 7:22 a.m.

wywoody

I agree with the above assessments. But it reminds me of an old practical joke to play if you are on a new construction job that is getting the pipes tested. You'll know the test is going on when you see the lower vent stacks plugged with inflatable plugs. The highest vent stack will have water at or near filling it. You point out the water to your intended victim. Then, when they aren't looking, you put your mouth over the stack and blow hard. The water will disappear. You say to the victim "where did that water go?" They invariably will walk over and put their face right over the stack for a look. The water will return (8 to 10 seconds after blowing)as a fountain spouting about a foot above the stack dousing the victim. Funniest in cold weather.

November 29, 2009 at 8:50 p.m.

Old School

If it is a stack pipe and it is filled with water, then the pipe is clogged and it is seeping into the building. Those pipes just allow for air to get into the system so that it doesn't lock and gurgle when it is draining. If water is standing in them, it is a bad sign. Like the guys said, either it is capped off inside or the line is plugged. Either way, you need to find out. Run a snake down the line and see if it hits a solid opject; a clog or a cap. This will also tell you how far into the building it is. Find it, and I predict you will find the source for your leak! Happy hunting!

November 29, 2009 at 8:17 p.m.

tinner666

Reminds me of a very hard to find leak. 4 others didn't find it. No holes in the roof, no holes in the pipe flashing. Somebody had cut the pipe off inside, and set it on the ceiling loist. Looked AOK on the roof! :laugh: :side:

November 29, 2009 at 8:09 p.m.

tinner666

copperman Said: is this a vent pipe or a roof drain? Is it filled with water? If its a roof drain then its clogged and needs to be cleaned out. if its a plumbing vent is it cut off and out of service and capped inside. Perhaps its the leak source.
Yep!

November 29, 2009 at 5:58 p.m.

copperman

is this a vent pipe or a roof drain? Is it filled with water? If its a roof drain then it's clogged and needs to be cleaned out. if it's a plumbing vent is it cut off and out of service and capped inside. Perhaps it's the leak source.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

USG - Banner - Fire
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif