User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Am I a victim of a crime?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Roof Doctors USA

Background: In the towns around here before a building permit is issued the building department requires the builders to have their sub-contractors sign-on to the permit (Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical and Roofing). This process is not convenient for anyone because material and labor prices change in addition to our individual schedules. It's not uncommon for a General Contractor to change sub's before any work is actually done. Until this happens, the signed-on sub-contractor is the contractor of record and liable for the work performed under their license.

So, back in April I got a call from an out-of-town GC who was putting an addition on a house that I had just reroof a year earlier. I was asked to bid the job and subsequently told I had the job and asked to sign-on to the permit. I was told to be ready to roof the addition by mid-June. As of two weeks ago, they still weren't ready for me. Today, I stopped by the job site and the roof is about 90% installed. Clearly a hack job. Anyway, I then went to the building department and was told that "my" first inspection was done on Monday. Whomever is doing the roof, is working under my permit (since I am the roofing contractor of record).

Now at this point, I don't have a whole lot invested in this project. I took time out of my schedule months ago to bid the job, but I would have done that even if I hadn't been told that I had the job. Since being told that I had the job, I've invested 3 or 4 hours over the past couple of months checking the progress of the project. I've also purchased and been sitting on the materials for the past three months.

The big rub here is that somebody is trying to slip one over me. The roofer is using my license without my permission.

So, local code enforcement is going to issue a "Stop Work Order" on the project tomorrow. I guess we'll see what shakes out.

I wonder if the GC is a moron or if he just doesn't know that he can't hire other people and let them work under my license.

So what should I do next??

October 3, 2009 at 11:00 a.m.

Mike H

Can't wait for the results of this one.

October 3, 2009 at 10:15 a.m.

johnny5

Also inform the HO if this invalidates you're original warranty

October 1, 2009 at 4:29 p.m.

clublaugh

My home county just began the same requirement. I was wondering if something like this could happen. Let us know how it turns out.

October 1, 2009 at 4:07 p.m.

tico

CIAK Said: Doc The only out for the builder is that he has either removed you as the roofing contractor on the permit or will as soon as he learns you are on to him. It doesnt always mean you are the contractor because at the beginning you were the contractor of record on the permit . A small fee to the building dept will remove you . A letter is usually sent to you informing you of the change , if you have worked or supplied material on the project .
had he been removed from the permit they would not deliver A cease and desist order. any changes would have been attached to the original permit to not have this happen.unless of course it's A lazy small town dog and pony show. and giving the details with which they have to apply I doubt it.

October 1, 2009 at 3:43 p.m.

CIAK

Doc The only out for the builder is that he has either removed you as the roofing contractor on the permit or will as soon as he learns you are on to him. It doesn't always mean you are the contractor because at the beginning you were the contractor of record on the permit . A small fee to the building dept will remove you . A letter is usually sent to you informing you of the change , if you have worked or supplied material on the project .

October 1, 2009 at 10:19 a.m.

tico

another builder thread.they kinda solidify alot for us. It's good to see that you followed up on it and have taken proper action. I'd bet he had "his guys" doin the work to keep the profit(not profit margain)for hisself. scumbag. I hate guys like this.and the one Van was reffering to.

October 1, 2009 at 5:53 a.m.

tinner666

I'd bill for the materials and my time at the least! And give a price to do a T.O. and install a new roof too.

October 1, 2009 at 4:48 a.m.

jfreynik

If they are shutting him down,there must of been fraud involved. I think you could sue for damages. Cost to remove sub standard work and install roof as originally quoted. Was this a verbal or do you have a contract?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad