User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Siding solutions for any style
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Accepting Credit Cards?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Schwalm1

Hi All!

I'm wondering if any of you accept credit cards for payments of roof installations and/or repairs? And if you do, is it worth it? Is it a good selling point for people?

I just don't want to go through the bother if it's not a viable gig in our trade.

Thank you!

September 24, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.

CharlesManes

I first started accepting credit cards with Square. I would get about one request a month for a credit card transaction. Then, I noticed that a couple of places I was using credit cards to pay were adding 2 or 3% for credit card transactions. Instead of resenting them, I actually respected them, so I started adding 3% (break even with Square) for accepting a credit card, since then most people have declined to use their card. Anyone over 30 days overdue, I'll accept 97% over nothing.

-wywoody

I was actually doing the same in 2015!

September 23, 2023 at 6:22 a.m.

alanwots

Sure, we started accepting credit cards over 10 years ago. It's quite convenient.

December 21, 2016 at 9:54 a.m.

wywoody

I first started accepting credit cards with Square. I would get about one request a month for a credit card transaction. Then, I noticed that a couple of places I was using credit cards to pay were adding 2 or 3% for credit card transactions. Instead of resenting them, I actually respected them, so I started adding 3% (break even with Square) for accepting a credit card, since then most people have declined to use their card. The one exception is deadbeats. Anyone over 30 days overdue, I'll accept 97% over nothing.

December 20, 2016 at 10:00 a.m.

egg

I looked into it a few years ago, not because I needed more work, but to provide an already sold customer with the convenience. No thanks. If memory serves, you pay an annual fee, a monthly fee, and a transaction fee. All that can be mathematically accounted for, but some of those fees accrue even if you never even use the service.

What really alarmed me was the disputation process. I settle disputes myself, in a civilized manner, by talking things out and reaching a mutually agreeable solution. With a card, you could have a serious problem with a lunatic or abusive customer. They back out the charge instantly and it's not a twenty dollar gift certificate under dispute here. No credit card company is going to be competent to adjudicate a construction dispute and meanwhile the customer enjoys the benefit of a free roof while you get to go through all the normal channels, starting from scratch, to collect. Double no thanks.

I'm too simple for that stuff. Just another reason It's unlikely I'll ever be rich. But then I'm also simple enough to be completely satisfied with that. I have lines of credit myself and whenever I tap them I can't wait to get back on solid ground. I get the concept of leverage, but I'd rather leverage my time than my credit and live more down to earth.

Do your work, make your money, pay your taxes, hold your head up, and "Ask not what your country can do for you. Rather ask what you can do for your country."

jmho.

December 20, 2016 at 3:46 a.m.

Mike H

I don't know what I'd do if my work was primarily residential, but I despise cards and all they stand for. Paying a company 1-5 percent for nothing other than an immediate funds transfer and promoting the credit card lifestyle ain't for me. I carry one for gas and hotels and for those occassions when there's not much choice. But I hate them. I hate where they take so many people. If I had to use them to stay in business, I'm not sure I would stay in business. I think the cards and the bank that issue them are part of a much greater evil to come.

And I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But I did vote for Trump. LOL

December 13, 2016 at 10:15 p.m.

Lefty1

We have accepted credit cards for a long time now. People use the credit cards for the points they receive along with the convinence. We require payment at the time the job is completed. The foreman is expected to bring the payment back with the completed work order.

The customer knows what the cost will be before we start. Any unforseen damage is shown to the customer as it is discovered. An the cost is told to them. This may be a close estimate, but the final cost will be told to them at the end of the work being completed.

Most of my business is done with a card. Why would I expect my customers to operate in a different manner.

December 12, 2016 at 10:46 p.m.

clvr83

I get asked if I take cards once a month or maybe a little less. I don't think I'm losing any sales over it.

I too putz around when it comes to billing.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June