User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

A General Contrator.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

ottawa_roofer

This Man, has no idea of how to make a roofer water tight. I have over 20 years under my belt. i'm showing him how he"s wrong,and saying this is the way it should me done. I could make this a very long conversation, but the point being. When you take on a contract...Keep the General Away, What is your experice one this.?

March 21, 2010 at 4:00 p.m.

2ndgen

I was dealing with a Project Supervisor who wanted me to do some really unorthodox sh!) on a job that I totally disagreed with. I got tired of all the back and forth between him and the Job Foreman. I told the Foreman to give me the phone.; I told the Super...

"Tell you what, I'll do everything you want me to do, but I want it 'in writing' that I warned you about these changes and that I am doing them under protest and that your company won't hold me responsible for any of the roof's failures as a result of the work you're insisting on here. So what do you say?"

(I heard crickets chirping for about a minute.)

Finally, he clears his throat and said "I can't do that".

I said...

"I didn't think so. Now let me get back to work now and do what we originally agreed on."

And promptly hung up the phone on his pencilneck arse.

Desk jockies have no business telling a Roofer what to do.

Unless, their willing to put their money where their mouth is.

March 21, 2010 at 12:45 p.m.

Robby the Roofer

Similar to what I said in a similar post...follow the specs. provided or follow the manufacturers recomendations to the tee when you are dealing those type of people. If the specs are way of based then it is time for a sit-down with everyone involved and get it ironed out. When you begin to sway the liability back toward them, they will do what it takes...because they don't want that burden.

March 19, 2010 at 10:46 p.m.

egg

I'm all on WildBill's side there, but none of that guarantees immunity down the road and an ignorant, obstinate, idiot gc is a VERY dangerous partner.

March 19, 2010 at 10:37 p.m.

WildBill

I try to make the GC and Arch and any other inspector part of my team and to get them to accept the responsibility for the work in place. I want my roofs inspected at the very start of the work and at least once a week as the work progresses. I want any problems worked out before the progress gets to far. I wouldn't want to have to go back and tear-off new work.

It is a lot easier to get paid progress payments when you have had inspections and the work is acceptable.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SafetyHQ: Banner Ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June