User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

A forest of skylights!

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

How would you like to flash around all of these? My brothers new roof on his shop. 177- 5' x 4 1/2 ' skylights on a 50,000 square foot roof. 1 square foot of skylight for each 14 square feet of floor space! Wow!

http://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/ClassicGutterSkylights?authkey=Gv1sRgCNSmz9vpufPg5gE#>>>

July 15, 2009 at 7:27 p.m.

Old School

Yes! My brother Augustin, has been on "This Old House" 3 or 4 times and his products have been featured a couple more. Chris Freeman went there with him on one of the first episodes and helped him to install the gutter on the program. I believe my brother has Tom Silve on the speed dial of his cell phone.

If you ever get the chance, you should try out the gutter. It is the finest system in the world, and I am not saying that because he is my brother. A real stickler for detail and he has installed so he knows what the weak points are. He has it figured out, if I must say so myself. He has a lot of skylights on his roof too!>>>

July 14, 2009 at 10:20 p.m.

Ed The Roofer

Old School Said: He owns Classic Gutters in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Did he or one of the contractors who buy from him, (from Carpentersville, IL) go up to the East Coast to shoot a This Old House episode about 5-6 years ago?

A fellow contractor in town, named Chris Freeman uses his copper gutters frequently.

Ed>>>

July 14, 2009 at 7:42 p.m.

Old School

Patty, He owns Classic Gutters in Kalamazoo, Michigan. He bought that building about 4 years ago and has been fighting the roof leaks ever since. We had played with several small skylights and tube skylights, but this solved all his roofing problems. I told him how to do it and he ran with it. Did it himself too. He had about 8 guys on the roof working with him, but he certainly ran the show. Everything he does is first class! He was fortunate that the weather was fairly cool when he did most of the work, thought it did get to the high 90's for the last few days. HOT!! He had a radio on the roof that they left beneath one of the domes to keep it dry at night. They forgot about it the next day and the damn thing MELTED! It was a pile of plastic about 3 inches high. It sure does make that a nicer place to work. Very light and cheerful now.

Ciak, No insult taken. I am just learning how to post pictures, and i admit I was jealous of those of you that could do it. For years I was tied to a dialup service and it was too slow to even try and send pics. I got the high speed in December and have been working on it to get up to speed. Right now I have figured out Picasa and will get better at that before I try anything radical. On Picasa, I can post pictures with great clarity without having to worry about the size of the file. The URL is simplier though!>>>

July 14, 2009 at 3:10 p.m.

CIAK

Not meant to insult or harm OS. Thought it might be easier that's all. Just trying to help . Just type in a message in reply or topic, then copy and paste the htt// ,hit URL, put the cursor in the middle , right click , hit paste and the url will put itself in automatically. Save reply .. Now if I can only get my pics on here. What an incredible hassle for me.>>>

July 13, 2009 at 7:15 p.m.

Old School

Ciak, I just learned how to post onto picasa and now you want me to learn how to go directly to the URL? It is much easier, but I have to walk before I can crawl. Let me get used to doing what I am doing and then I can change. I have a lot of stuff to show pictures of that I have been talking about for years wo I am like a kid in a candy shop.

The roof was basicly a pole barn metal roof screwed down over metal purlins on 5' centers with the "sag and bag" insulation beneath it. He had tried to urethane it and coat it and nothing worked. I sugggested he try EPDM and he ran with it; oh he added all of the skylights after I had mentioned them, and he added and added and added.They all lay out very well on the inside as they are all over specific work areas and machines. It lights it up inside like you are outside. No need for any light in the daytime. Probably $600 a month in electric savings alone.

He screwed down OSB to the high ribs of the metal deck and he used a urethane bonding adhesive on each rib. 12" centers on the ribs so it is stuck like one giant piece. He did several tests with 5 different kinds of adhesive and it tore the wood right off the back of the sheet when he tried to pull it up. He had a whole pallet full of adhesive tubes and a whole semi truck full of skylights. It made the whole roof super strong, and he just left the OSB out of the holes where the skylights weere going to be. 30' x 100 feet rolls of 60 mil rubber; so minimum lap joints. He then x'ed out the holes for the skylight and dropped in the curbs and screwed them down with glue too. He cut little wooden cants for the tops of the skylights so the water doesn't stand behind them. He flashed the corners and then took a sawsall and cut out the metal decking inside the curb. Then all he had to do was screw the skylight cover over the curb. 177 sklyights and not one leak. It helps that the roof is 1/2 /12 pitch per foot. He also built a 200 foot long saddle between the two halfs of the building to direct the water to the outside. New gutters and downspouts and it was complete.>>>

July 13, 2009 at 10:52 a.m.
July 13, 2009 at 6:39 a.m.

Jed

Down here you would have to fit them with the cages over the top so if some idiot falls on the "glass" it does'nt break, yeah, yeah, I know.....anyway we installed 48 of them last yr on a local college and I think they ran over four hundred bucks a piece...>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

SRS - Banner Ad - Commercial Distribution Specilaists
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Maven Group SIdebar Ad
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)