English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Elevate - Sidebar Ad - Nobody covers you better
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

A fancy be-build job on a round porch entry

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Old School

We are fixing the leaking copper roof and gutters on this one, and we also had to completely re-build the structure to hold it all. Very nice when done.

http://picasaweb.google.com/crookston.john4/WeberRoundDormer?authkey=Gv1sRgCNLFi-bX0Pa4Lg#5464191911883912610

April 30, 2010 at 7:06 p.m.

Old School

Good idea Copper, I may do it that way! See guys, nobody is as smart as everydoby!

April 30, 2010 at 11:51 a.m.

copperman

What I would do is install a block of wood at the base and cover with copper and solder to roof Then cut a piece of epdm as a gasket and install the railing. This way the original roof is not compromised.

April 29, 2010 at 9:54 p.m.

Old School

Thanks Dennis! Good point. Wild Bill, I never thought of pitch pockets. If we can just fasten to the wall without going through the roof we will do that. I want to see how bad it is under it when we take off the railing. More pics to follow!

April 29, 2010 at 8:52 p.m.

WildBill

You might could just build a pitch pocket around the post bases and then fill the pocket with sealant. the copper would not be in contact with the iron.

http://www.eternabond.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/pitchpocketsealant-brochure.pdf

April 29, 2010 at 6:57 p.m.

dennis

"Copper, we are just going to grind out all of the joints and re-solder them,"

Gonna be a real PIA to open the seams and grind to clean copper. You would be better off replacing the roof with new copper.

Block under the railing legs, and cap with copper, to keep them off the flat roof proper if you have to secure to the deck.

If you do grind or wire wheel the seams, a mask or respirator is in order.

April 28, 2010 at 7:45 p.m.

Old School

We haven't yet! Still working on the details. I talked to the owner tonight, and we are going to cut the railing off and he is going to paint it. We are going to grind and patch over the holes with new heavy copper and then anchor the railing to the vertical walls. We will raise it up and then either put down some lead pads and then a blocking material or just more lead as a cushion. very observant!

April 27, 2010 at 8:48 p.m.

WildBill

How are you keeping separation between the wrought iron and the copper?

April 26, 2010 at 9:04 p.m.

Old School

The old framing was rotted and gone. We just replaced the bad members and filled in the roof boards from beneath so that we wouldn't have to replace the roof too. The blocking at an angle or on the diagnal was for strength. There were no specs to work with, just fix it so it looks nice and is solid. That worked out just fine.

Copper, we are just going to grind out all of the joints and re-solder them, plus we have to fill in a couple of holes and put patches beneath the railing supports. We also have to add two new outlets and downspouts as needed to get the water off.

Vaa, The Azak is a vinyl type of product that comes in sheets as large as 4' x 18' and trim lumber from 1 x 2's thru 1 x 16" x 18 feet long. Very flexible and it is color throughout. You can sand and shape it too, and when it is heated you can bend it into coumpound curves. Very stable.

April 26, 2010 at 7:21 a.m.

wywoody

I noticed the new framing is far different from the old. Did you open it up and assess what was needed or was it all spec'ed by an engineer in advance?

April 26, 2010 at 7:01 a.m.

copperman

Are you replacing the copper roof? If so with flat seam copper? I love those kind of roofs. Most roofers run from them. kind of like this one before pic.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Everroof-RoofingFundamentalsGiveaway-Sidebar
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2