User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Readyslate Sidebar Ad
WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

3 Roofing Employees Busted.......Insurance Fraud

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

JET

Just hit the local news last night. Evidently three employees of the J. Norman Roofing Company got caught on video damaging shingle roofs that had just had a storm pass over. They were telling the homeowners how to get a new roof instead of just a repair, of course the homeowner had to eat the deductible. These houses were only a few years old and from the video were in absolutely perfect condition. Seems one of the homeowners thought a scam was in the works and told his insurance company who staked out his house and others in the area to catch the guys doing extra damage. The FDLE got involved and busted 'em. Said they "didn't have enough on the owner of the company to charge him".........too bad.

JET

August 16, 2010 at 6:49 p.m.

jimAKAblue

twill59 Said:
jimAKAblue Said:
[

Also...yes, Id want the flashings replaced too.

Does not get replaced on a comp roof. HELL BELLS the roof does not even have to be replaced properly. Correct nailing is not even a requirement on a comp roof from the the Ins. Cos. standpoint. wtf? The check gets cut anyway.

Very little of it makes sense. Very little. So little of it makes sense, I have even quit arguing w/ CIAK about it :P

To make sense out of it, you need to try to understand why the check gets cut. It gets cut because the homeowner sustained a property loss. The customer has no obligation to replace the roof. They can do anything they want with the check.

The insurance company's only duty is to write a check. They are not in the business of verifying correct installation procedures. That duty is delegated to the homeowner. Sometimes, in some localities, the government steps in and requires permits and inspections. In no case though, is the insurance company responsible for verifying correct nailing.

Technically speaking, the homeowner could take the money and have the roofers install the shingles with the smooth side up.

August 16, 2010 at 9:15 a.m.

jimAKAblue

TomB Said: ..Hes making a killing getting paid atronomical numbers to replace hail damaged concrete tile roofs....And get this: Theyre replacing battens, flashing and underlayments as well!....These roofs a only a few years old....

What does the phrase "making a killing" mean? Does that mean he's actually getting decent mechanic's pay? Or does that mean he's still working for poverty wages but since he can get all the hours he wants, he'd finally getting a slice of the American pie?

Also...yes, I'd want the flashings replaced too.

August 16, 2010 at 9:10 a.m.

jimAKAblue

TomB Said: Jackleg....The underlaymant was not affected, (why would you want it replaced?).....Tile manufactures dont typically warranty the roof system....Only the tile....

Therein lies the problem.

If I let a roofer replace the tiles and it later leaks, he'll blame the underlayment. If I go to the underlayment company for warranty, they'll say that it should have been replaced when the tile was done.

If the roofer replaces it all, I know that I will have a warranty on everything: underlayment, tile and workmanship.

August 15, 2010 at 11:21 p.m.

TomB

Jackleg....The underlaymant was not affected, (why would you want it replaced?).....Tile manufactures don't typically warranty the roof system....Only the tile....

August 15, 2010 at 11:15 p.m.

TomB

That's not the case in Colorado.....Or any of it's county/city municipalities....

Florida has a "state" bldg. dept., that carries out bldg. code inspections?....So the counties/cities don't?

So....you must biuld-in 15% on any re-roof, to cover such a circumstance?.....and if the add'l 15% doesn't cover the code compliance?

I wouldn't consider replacing chipped tile a re-roof project, anyway.

August 15, 2010 at 10:16 p.m.

clublaugh

believe it or not- that is the requirement on any reroof of a home in FL valued over $300,000, you have to check the roof to wall connections and if not up to code, spend up to 15% of contract to fix it...crazy

August 15, 2010 at 8:54 p.m.

TomB

OK...I'm bored....I'll play along a bit, however, can't play too long!

Better get that sheathing off to determine if proper truss/rafter clips/anchorage was installed, (i.e., hurricane clips)....don't stop there!....How's bout the top plates joint stagger?....Proper plate nailing?....Stud spacing....grade of lumber?....Let's go on down to the wall/foundation anchorage....Foundation?.....heck, better off just rebuilding the house.... :woohoo: :S

August 15, 2010 at 2:32 p.m.

CIAK

The world of roofing here " Where the sun shines damn near every day" before installing underpayment the decking needs to be nailed according to Fla building codes. 8d ring shank nails in the plywood. If underpayment is not removed how can you tell where the truss is or if it has been nailed properly. "i dunno"

August 15, 2010 at 1:54 p.m.

jimAKAblue

If I owned the house, I'd want the underlayment replaced. Is there some reason that you think it shouldn't be replaced? How would that affect the manufacturer's warranty?

August 15, 2010 at 10:07 a.m.

TomB

Believe it?....There you go....That's what it is....("the insurance game")....

Just spoke with a formr employee, who is now a jackleg/sub in the midst of the "insurance game"....He's making a killing getting paid atronomical numbers to replace hail damaged concrete tile roofs....And get this: They're replacing battens, flashing and underlayments as well!....These roofs a only a few years old....

The beat goes on....

August 13, 2010 at 11:29 a.m.

JET

RandyB1986 Said: If your state is like my state they will let him go for free.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2009/04/06/99363.htm

Can you believe this story?? :huh: :huh:Guy is from Windemere too, Tiger's old lady lives there, in his old house (it's hers now).

JET

August 13, 2010 at 8:17 a.m.

RandyB1986

If your state is like my state they will let him go for free.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2009/04/06/99363.htm

August 12, 2010 at 12:56 p.m.

tico

alot of guys damage roofs.they put a 5/8 carriage bolt through the heel of A cheap pair of shoes,in A hail zone and make damage. they carry dirt and debris in their pockets,and pull up shingles and lace the roof in lots of spots,tear out some tabs or lift sections and get 3,4,5 rows to pull past the nails,and leave them in place. on the old continuous ridge,the aluminum nail over,they'll tear that up.dent your mechanical caps and so on. they should make it mandatory that no one gets on the roof without the adjuster. and if theirs photo proof or obvious scuffing where someones been crawlin around tell the h/O to take the contractor to court for the replacement. just another example of the degradation of the roof industry.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

METALCON - Banner - Ticket Giveaway
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
Uniflex - Sidebar - Sales Reps
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad