English
English
Español
Français

User Access

The GLO Group - Sidebar Ad - FEBRUARY Option2-Optimized
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

What do you do to keep your crews busy in bad weather?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

vickie

Sometimes it's hard to send your best guys home without their days pay. Do you use rainy days to do training or maintenance?

February 20, 2024 at 11:06 p.m.

potyna

Rainy days were usually the best time for me to bring in new customers.

December 6, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.

oilumiun12

I will let them work from home. This is a measure that will cause certain obstacles in the exchange of work, but it ensures safety for everyone.

June 17, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.

vickie

Bump

December 20, 2011 at 7:57 p.m.

chb70

Clean the shop, fix tools, training (safety, new product, etc) Snow Plow, Work on vhicles, Inside work if we can get it.

December 20, 2011 at 2:44 p.m.

RoofYourWorld

Rain days are also a great time for marketing and following-up with past customers.

I used to always generate new business on rain days. Some areas I would focus on were:

-Calling past re-roof customers to make sure there were no leaks (amazing how many times there is a problem but people fail to report it).

-Calling past repair customers to see now the repair is holding up.

-Calling 'open quotes' to see if any emergency repairs are needed.

-Good, old fashioned, cold calling!

November 28, 2011 at 7:45 a.m.

CIAK

Agreed Gerry.

B) :) :) B)

Deep Down In Florida Where The Sun Shines Damn Near Every Day

November 1, 2011 at 3:27 p.m.

construct101

http://mobile.al.roofing-in.net/Getting materials and supplies, checking inventory and cleaning up shop are always good rainy day activities for the crew.http://montgomery.al.roofing-in.net/

October 27, 2011 at 3:09 p.m.

atozjohn

We also do interior work as well as roofing and siding. It’s always nice to have some interior to do but you cant always schedule your interior jobs around the weather. As far as the question, like GKRFG said “In this trade you have to get used to missing days due to bad weather, it's just part of the deal.” However I do not agree with Tin Man’s comment, “It seems the young people of today are not interested in working every day.” My son is 27, raised in the business as I was. Along with him I also am blessed to have several other employees around his same age. These guys may be an exception but they are ready to go Every Morning. I don’t feel too bad about it if I have to send them home for a day or two here and there because I pay them very well!

October 23, 2011 at 3:26 p.m.

Tin Man

We make our own roof metals. Roof edgings, Eave boxes, pipe collars, ridge caps, valleys, ect.,ect.. Most times they would just rather have the day off. It seems the young people of today are not interested in working every day. That's why the economy is the way it is today. Mom & Dad, Wife or Girlfriend, or Grand mom will help them. They don't want to help themselves. Obama money is good.

October 11, 2011 at 2:18 p.m.

TomB

We're general contractors as well, so if we have inside work....Also, for those capable; Vehicle & equipment maintenance.....Technical training, as well.

October 11, 2011 at 1:17 p.m.

Rozell

I normaly will do some in house training. This includes watching videos and some hands on as well.

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting Group - Affinity Webinar - Banner - On Demand
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)