User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
Leap - Sidebar - CTS + EV Giveaway - May 24
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Storm blew the roof off. Mobile home ventilation.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

rerod

The other night straight line winds tore the old roof off the 16x78 mobile home I just bought.  No insurance..

I knew it needed replace and was trying to schedule a time to round up help to re-roof it, but I'm not sure I can now and probably need a professional.   I wanted to add 2x4's on top of each roof truss to create a 1' overhang and space for a little more insulation and ventilation with a true soffit vent to a ridge vent..  But again, not sure if I can schedule my sons help with my GF's son to make it happen.  Most of the time its like pulling teeth to get those two to do anything. lol

Anyway, my question is about if I should mess with the factory ventilation?  It has 9 static mushroom vents   on it presently close to the peak, and my roofer said he could replace these with shingle vent II from Air Vent Inc.  I don't understand how this could work/help, or how the existing can work with no soffit vent for inlet air, but have read one situation where a home owner removed the ceiling and then the factory card board baffles in between the trusses, and vapor was condensing so bad, it was raining inside his mobile home!  I don't want to go there!   Granted, he hadn't re-insulated yet, but disturbed the system by removing the "cardboard"..

Considering I don't have the time or help to add my 2x4 overhang/ventilation/insulation, should I keep my mushroom vents?  Or should I have my roofer patch those, and install a ridge vent?   I plan to install malarkey legacy's since I'm happy with them on another home..

He wants $395 per square, or $5500..  Is this reasonable with malarkey legacy's?

Thanks!

September 4, 2018 at 10:05 a.m.

rerod

If you were in Iowa markcallowa, I'd give MK a call.

A roofer I know has allot of AG screw down metal roofing in white laying around.  I told myself I wouldn't use AG metal earlier because of the screws backing out due to expansion contraction, and how the battens don't ventilate unless you install a grid etc..

About those two main drawbacks..  Ive read Serrated type AB sheet metal screws combined with stainless steel 18/8 bonded neo EPDM sealing washers is a good way to prevent the screws from backing out.  It's to bad I cant find any roofing screws with good sealing washers that are Serrated though!  And doubling the battens to create good vertical air flow could then give me my overhang. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to keep bugs from entering under the roof..

September 3, 2018 at 11:23 p.m.

markcalloway

For any kind of help you can take advice from the roofing experts. Visit: Mk Custom Roofing

August 30, 2018 at 2:58 p.m.

rerod

The 2x6 sure would be nice. But the reality of it is, its a trailer that might be worth 10k.. If I had reliable help I would do it. I cant do it alone.. And if I asked my roofer to do it, the price would surely double..

Its temporarily repaired, so I'm ok for a while now

August 30, 2018 at 9:40 a.m.

Mike H

And while I would remove the static vents, I wouldn't patch the holes with anything that won't let the metal roof breath through.  If you patch the holes, you've effectively created a vapor barrier in the middle of your insulation column, which IMHO is never a good idea.

August 30, 2018 at 9:38 a.m.

Mike H

Soffit ventilation would be very easy to add at this time.

I'd recommend 2x6 instead of 2.4, new batt, and baffle channel from soffit to ridge vent.

Then it's done right and worth the investment.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
RoofSnap - Sidebar - Gutter Measurements
Westlake ad corrected size
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2