English
English
Español
Français

User Access

CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Buesiness Accelerator Roundtables
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Really Old Forum Topic - Critters and Roofs

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

I posted an old photo on my blog under Critters and Roofs here:http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/soapbox/index.php/critters-and-roofs/ and I thought I would post this old forum topic that I loved.

Perhaps you could add a story or a fix?

RCS Forum Topic- Critters and Roofs

Roofing Genius­ - On several occasions I have found holes chewed in the lead VTR flashings, especially in wooded sections of town. Although I have never seen it, I have heard that squirrels are the culprit. I have heard similar stories about squirrels chewing the sheathing off electrical cables in attics. Any similar stories?

REPLIES

Darryl - We have problems with raccoons and squirrels sharpening their teeth on lead plumbing stack covers, makes for nice bathroom and kitchen leaks.

Terry - We had a family of raccoons feast on a week old EPDM roof on a 6 figure house. Of course we had the heaviest rains in history that night which was the first night the new owner was in the house. Their insurance co. was not too happy with the new ceiling, furniture, oriental carpeting, hardwood floors, ect ,etc,.etc.

Troop - Squirrels are our number one leak cause. They eat the lead completely off the vent pipes. I have one man that does nothing expect leak repairs and 90 percent of his time is taken by squirrel damage repairs. We have started offering squirrel guards for the lead jackets, I bid them in the job as an extra.

Roofing genius - Troop, What is a squirrel guard and what/how is it made? If you substitute copper n lieu of lead for vent pipes does that stop the problem?

Colpaw - I was once called to investigate several leaks around the perimeter of a front entrance of an apartment complex. My memory tells me the roof system was either a smooth surfaced modified or BUR. The roof drained off the perimeter over galvanized steel edge metal. The field of the roof looked great but the ½” gravel stop edge was nearly gone. Squirrels were chewing thru the metal and all run off was going behind the metal, down the windows and into the building. I had to chase squirrels off the roof while I was up there. One would think that ingesting steel shavings would kill any animal! I still wonder if those squirrels had any teeth left.

Mike H - We had a rubber roof on a college campus that was leaking , when we poke over head over the edge, the whole roof is covered with 1” bumps. Squirrel was chewing hole and stuffing hickory nuts under the roof membrane.

Troop -Squirrel guards are pieces of stainless steel screen or mesh wrapped around the jacket and held in place with stainless wire. The squirrels cannot chew stainless and there is no oxidation problem. Copper works but is not as malleable as lead, so does not always confirm to the roof as well as lead. There are also certain chemicals in sewer gas that will condense on the copper and cause a reaction which will eventually corrode it.

Justme - Just put plastic cement around the lead jacks where the squirrels chew. They don’t like it that’s what I do and I’ve never had a problem. Learned that one from my Father many moons ago.

Darryl - Just me, that’s a good idea, but we have customers that are nit pickers and they do not want to see a black spot on a roof jack on their 500,000 house. We use the same mesh that Troop is talking about the smaller the opening between the mesh the better then varmints can get their mouth open enough to start chewing.

February 18, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.

vickie

BUMP

July 21, 2012 at 1:52 p.m.

Old School

Just that a ratcoon can tear hell out of a soffit to get into a roof.

July 21, 2012 at 10:41 a.m.

elcid

Had a problem once w/ squirrels. The exterminator used a cage and peanut butter to lure them. Too many critters to be caught one at a time. Finally put some sort of itching powder at points of entry - they never showed up again.

July 18, 2012 at 8:36 a.m.

vickie

No one has a good story to add? No tips?

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

LP Building Solutions - Banner Ad - Remodlers Edge
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
ASC Building Products - Sidebar - Metal Resources - March
The GLO Group - Sidebar Ad - FEBRUARY Option2-Optimized
Westlake ad corrected size
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch