Français

User Access

CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Patching into SBS

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

JoshuaDan

IMG_2726

Hey All-  I have a leaky chimney that I need to repair.  I had assumed that the issue was that the lead counterflash was not tucked into the chimney as it was gooped with something.  After I dug in, I found that the flashing was fine, but that the SBS (Liberty) only went to the base of the chimney, did not go up at all, and was just slathered with what looks like Geocel 4500.  It could use a cricket, but even if I could patch in another piece of SBS and run it up the chimney then fold the lead back over it it would probably be ok.  Is there any way to adhere another piece of SBS on top of the cap sheet?

Thoughts?  Thanks-

Josh

January 7, 2019 at 6:38 p.m.

JoshuaDan

Will do on the next one amigo, I didn't take the time to snap any this round.  It was a nice exercise for the obsessive compulsive side of life though.  The slow steady draw across the surface...looked like a little paving machine, in go the granules, out comes nice black smooth tar.

January 7, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.

roofrat

Good news! Anytime I patch or install flashings I make sure that the trowel is hot and clean. I will usually wipe the trowel off on a rag that I keep on my belt loop. I would love to see a few photos of your handy work.

January 6, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.

JoshuaDan

Hey roofrat, so I did just that FYI, embedded the granules with heat and a flat trowel then primed and roofed over top.  It worked very well, although I did need to keep the trowel hot as it's cold in CT at this point, the trowel wanted to drag shtuff around and make a mess until I kept it hot, then it made a nice base, brought all that asphalt to the top.   Thx

January 4, 2019 at 3:48 p.m.

roofrat

I would do just that. You could also " embed" or degranulate the area then torch another piece on top.  You dont want to remove the granules, just bleed the area so the asphalt rises to the top of your cap sheet. After all these years of roofing I still ensure there is a fire extinguisher handy as well as a pail of water just in case. I hope this helps you out. Please keep us informed on your progress.

December 31, 2018 at 10:27 p.m.

JoshuaDan

Ahh, so put on asphalt  primer right over the existing cap sheet, then would I torch on another cap sheet?

Thx

J

December 31, 2018 at 3:51 p.m.

roofrat

Is there anyway you could torch to the sbs.? If so, prime with asphalt primer let dry and torch away.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sherwin-Williams - Banner Ad - Emulate
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

EVERROOF - Sidebar Ad -  Branding Campaign
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Buesiness Accelerator Roundtables
Leap - Sidebar - LeapPay - Feb 24
ASC Building Products - Sidebar - Metal Resources - March
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
SOPREMA - Sidebar Ad - The Right Coatings for the Right Roofs (RLW on-demand)