English
English
Español
Français

User Access

DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
Geocel - Sidebar - 50th Anniversary - Feb 2024
Polyglass - Sidebar - PolyAnchor - April 2024
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

New Solar Roof?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

vickie

We are dying to know what you think of this. How is the industry going to be involved? Will we be the lead or cleaning up after the solar/electricians?

I have so many opinions on this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-unveils-solar-roof-solarcity-video-2016-10?utm_content=buffere984a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-ti

June 26, 2019 at 4:10 a.m.

highlandvillageroofingpro

It's good

May 31, 2019 at 8:15 a.m.

JamesRichard

Both electrician and roofing contractor are needed for this job.

December 16, 2018 at 11:55 p.m.

Fredaberube

This is really a nice product.

December 11, 2018 at 12:55 a.m.

InteriorObsession

The professional electrician can do this job.

May 9, 2018 at 11:27 p.m.

Liranhershman

They must involve licensed electrician in this work according to me.

November 9, 2016 at 2:33 a.m.

WEHerdon

Hi there, I totally loved the concept of solar panels fitted on roof shingles.

November 3, 2016 at 8:52 p.m.

Old School

Vickie...Oh hell no! When they have leaks, they will call a roofer! Like I said before, The devil is going to be in the details. Valleys and wall flashings and pipe flashings and through roof penetrations...etc. are going to drive them crazy. they will call us.

November 3, 2016 at 7:49 p.m.

vickie

Can your really walk on it? Do solar shingle manufacturers understand the Nuances of flashing it? I just keep thinking that the roofing industry will get the short end of the stick on all of this.

If all the residential roofs are going to be solar someday and the roofers aren't the primary contractor then we just got encyclopedia britannica'd.

Wake up, the sky is falling!

November 2, 2016 at 9:15 p.m.

wywoody

There are actually about 50 variations of what is required as a license, as this data base shows. When you factor the states that defer the issue down to counties and cities, there are hundreds of variations.

http://www.irecusa.org/2010/08/solar-licensing-information/

November 2, 2016 at 4:12 p.m.

Alba

wywoody Said: I definitely wont be installing them. Im too close to retirement to take on any thing that could have liability issues beyond my control.

One issue that will confront any roofing company looking to install these is the requirement to have a licensed electrician involved. This would likely be the highest paid member of your crew even though all he would be doing is plugging in things. The plugs will undoubtedly be designed so that it would be impossible to get the polarity wrong so that most of what he would do could have been done by the lowest paid laborer.

Its a recipe for internal crew resentment. Let alone the difficulty in finding an electrician that is willing to work on steeper roofs (where solar is more efficient).

I think you'll need a licensed electrician to only hook the inverter to the grid which can be subbed to journeyman electrician or electrical company .

November 2, 2016 at 9:12 a.m.

wywoody

I definitely won't be installing them. I'm too close to retirement to take on any thing that could have liability issues beyond my control.

One issue that will confront any roofing company looking to install these is the requirement to have a licensed electrician involved. This would likely be the highest paid member of your crew even though all he would be doing is plugging in things. The plugs will undoubtedly be designed so that it would be impossible to get the polarity wrong so that most of what he would do could have been done by the lowest paid laborer.

It's a recipe for internal crew resentment. Let alone the difficulty in finding an electrician that is willing to work on steeper roofs (where solar is more efficient).

October 31, 2016 at 11:21 p.m.

natty

Vickie the Boss Said: Yes but who is going to apply them? The roofing contractor or a solar company?

The better question is "who is going to guarantee them?"

I could not in good conscience sell a solar panel and install it on the roof or sell and install solar shingles. It is just too early. Right now they are just a gimmick. It takes more energy to produce and install the things than the energy they provide. Without the tax credits they are totally not feasible. And the consumer takes all of the risk.

It is like the govt mandate on ethanol added to gasoline. It takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the energy it provides. Totally insane- a program only govt could love.

October 31, 2016 at 6:55 p.m.

Old School

I would install them! I would like to see the spec sheet and the detail drawings. On the other hand, I could draw up the specs for them and install a few and tell them a hell of a lot about the system. I think it is a great idea if they have done their homework.

October 31, 2016 at 10:45 a.m.

vickie

Yes but who is going to apply them? The roofing contractor or a solar company?

October 31, 2016 at 6:53 a.m.

clvr83

Isn't overheating the big problem that DOW and Certainteed are having?

I assume his statement about them being comparable to a normal roof means a normal tile or slate roof. Even $4-500 a square material cost for a solid 40 year product would be excellent.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Cotney Consulting Group - Banner Ad - COO On Demand
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Estimating Edge - Sidebar Ad - Industry Collaboration Means Contractor Success (Podcast With Duro-Last)
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Westlake ad corrected size
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch