This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  srithirumalai 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
« Back To Roofers Talk
  • Author

safetyfirst
    Participant

I just had a new roof installed and I noticed this oddity when the crew was doing the work. It looks like the plywood in the circled area is bowed and I can see obvious space between that and adjacent pieces of plywood. This piece of plywood was not replaced. I talked to the contractor and he said he is not concerned about this. Should I be concerned? He has offered to re-do this part of the roof, but said it will be “intrusive” and does not recommend it. Any suggestions?

IMG_1515 (1)_marked

Alba
    Participant

the plywood is supposed to lay flat with a 1/8″ space between the sheets.

srithirumalai
    Participant

There are two types of wood roofing: wood shingles and wood shakes. Often referred to interchangeably, there is a difference. Shingles are machine-cut and tapered for a trim, crisp appearance. Shakes are hand-split, giving them a more rustic appeal. If you have a traditional or historical style-home, a wooden roof will increase its aesthetic appeal, creating a more natural look that weathers to a beautiful silver-gray. Due to fire risks, wood roofing has declined in popularity, but new shingles and shakes are now treated with fire retardant, making them a safer option. Wood roofs are also a great option for high wind areas and for roofs with a steep pitch.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.