Français

User Access

IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Geocel - Sidebar - 50th Anniversary - Feb 2024
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

If you had to make a tough decision this year due to the economy (lay-offs, selling equipment, getting back on the roof, etc.), do you see this decision benefitting your company in the long run also?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

sarah2

If you had to make a tough decision this year due to the economy (lay-offs, selling equipment, getting back on the roof, etc.), do you see this decision benefitting your company in the long run also?>>>

August 13, 2009 at 1:46 a.m.

EcoRoofer

Making tough decisions is really the nature of the beast, for me it has been a matter of making expected decisions. Downsizing, lazy guys and over priced real estate, we got out of our renting situation moved into a out of the way "office" location and depend solely on word of mouth advertisement, local trade associations and good ole' fashion hand shaking. Quite frankly the toughest decision I have ever made was to go into busines for myself getting on the roof had to be done...Installing the Recession Roof, works today...forget tomorrow, we won't even live here long enough to care,

or will you?

Since I live in the land of the low cost 4/12 rambler I now tear my own roofs off, pay a few hungry mid-twenty something guys $50.00 send them on after they clean the gutters and dump the trailer at that point I get my roof on, pay a nailer to finish the other half of the roof and that does 25 sq. off and on for cheap...half of something is better than all of nothing...

Residential TPO/PVC, various ECO products are doing well, mostly membrane roofs.

http://www.vuetoviewroofs.com>>>

August 6, 2009 at 4:10 p.m.

Mr.JoeRoofer

Leaner / Meaner is how we will come out of this ..... and yes we were getting too far ahead of ourselves ..... Actually I'm glad the correction happened - We were getting fat and lazy ..... and a BIG PLUS is we got rid of our "DEAD WOOD" .....

Downside there are good people who are suffering and overall the media is blowing way out of proportion but that is their job ....

B)>>>

August 5, 2009 at 4:22 p.m.

Roofsrus1

The toughest decision that I have had to make, after my father/business partner died, was to either relicense for another year or bag it. As it is we are moving tools and materials from one property, which is being sold, to my home where the business shall be housed. Plus before I leave for a business trip to Vegas on the 24th of this month, we will begin distribution of flyers to newer homes in the local metro Portland area. Ten thousand of those flyers will be home delivered. One thousand dollars to print and distribute. Plus I will start advertising on Christian radio stations with the first ad buy to be in the three to four thousand dollar range.>>>

August 5, 2009 at 3:06 a.m.

Roofsrus1

My wife whose advice I treasured passed away on June 21, 2009 from cancer. Then after having been real sick for the last four months-my best friend, father and business partner-Gary Livingston Sr. passed away to his rest. Our firm has had the last four months off from work and now we have to play the survival game. With some money that I inherited-we plan on getting some radio and print ads going within two weeks time wich will be good for us.>>>

July 29, 2009 at 6:17 p.m.

craftesman

belive it or not, iam having a great year so far. booked up untill mid sept. been busy since early april most jobs have been bigger and more troblesome than usual. been replacing some tools this year so some of the money is going back into the ecomony. crazy weather the last couple of weeks is nuts, rains on the job site and 2 miles down the road bone dry.>>>

July 28, 2009 at 6:55 p.m.

robert

We are still working and making a living i guess we are one of the lucky few,but i also work a large area from new orleans to lafayette to baton rouge and beyond.What i have done has seemed to work so far im no genuis but im making a good living,were even getting new homes to roof again i thought the genarals had quit building.>>>

July 18, 2009 at 6:56 a.m.

CIAK

I had made my mind up before the really bad part of this cycle started. I watched and listened as one after another fell some more gracefully than another.Some are still in the fall . I was sounding the warnings in the beginning and still try to wake others . It isn't the end as I see it . Just a cleaning out a shaking .Where will you be . Because of the position I've put my self in I have been able to live a good life . When I'm home from being around the country with my other job , I do repairs and mostly small to medium residential T/O's.... "There is a new market opening up !! ".... It is not for the faint of heart . I am testing the waters . I can do this only because I'm not struggling with major bills and debt. My sons will be the benefactor if they so desires. I have roofing to thank for what I learned and have . That is as I see it the reason I stay connected to this industry. I get this industry . I just can't leave the game . There is a time and place for everything.>>>

July 17, 2009 at 7:03 p.m.

Terry

AMEN!!! I HEAR YA BROTHER>>>

July 17, 2009 at 5:47 p.m.

zazzara12

I don't know where most of these guys do business but here in so cal and we are getting driven into the ground with the state going bankrupt and the economy going in the tank and work comp insurance skyrocktingm, we are getting under bid by 25% by contractors saying they have insurance and all the rest we are sick of it :side:>>>

July 16, 2009 at 11:41 a.m.

Terry

In 1982 we had a real bad recession here in Michigan. I remember my dad running around threatening to close the business. He is my inspiration I remember him telling me that for 2 winters he had company loans for $200,000 and was paying 21% interest only payments. I am coming to the conclusion that if many of us roofers are to survive these changeling times it will be the ones that cut there overhead expenses the fastest to the bare minimum. Rain, snow, sleet or ice is not going to help the commercial roofing industry in and around Metro Detroit. I do believe he who does survive will come out on top, and he whom like me have little set aside for a rainy day (or have gone through what you had put away) will have a very difficult time surviving.>>>

July 16, 2009 at 10:49 a.m.

JET

Spudder Said: We have been through 5 recessions down here in Florida since 1970, but continued to surive, we did what we had to from layoffing people to downsizing, finally in 2006 My son said this is it he let go of 100 employees and sub contractors and started to cherry pick the market We have had it with the insuranc building department and people that dont pay their bills, we worked the storms and that turned profitable, but we ran across the scum of the earth doing peoples roofing. We stuck it out and eventually started to move with the storms. Now we are a storm chaser lol, but we do it a different way. We have direct approach with certain property adjusters and they reccommend or work so we get the cream of the crop lol

Hey Daryl,

Nice to hear from 'ya..........where you been?

JET>>>

July 16, 2009 at 8:20 a.m.

Spudder

We have been through 5 recessions down here in Florida since 1970, but continued to surive, we did what we had to from layoffing people to downsizing, finally in 2006 My son said this is it he let go of 100 employees and sub contractors and started to cherry pick the market We have had it with the insuranc building department and people that don't pay their bills, we worked the storms and that turned profitable, but we ran across the scum of the earth doing peoples roofing. We stuck it out and eventually started to move with the storms. Now we are a storm chaser lol, but we do it a different way. We have direct approach with certain property adjusters and they reccommend or work so we get the cream of the crop lol>>>

July 16, 2009 at 7:23 a.m.

OLE Willie

Ironic that you should ask these particular questions as I had to do all of the above things LAST year. Including the ETC.... It all started with a major drought in our area in 2007, which got us into debt. 2008 was better but did not provide the necessary means of overcoming this like all previous years had done if we had a bad year. And now this economy thing of 2009. Geez! I laid off ALL office and sales staff and repair personnel nearly one year ago now. If not for that move we would not have survived last winter. It got so slow last December that the roofers had to look for work elsewhere as well and it ended up being just me and the wife on the phones. AND THAT WAS IT. For about two months. During that time i did all sales, all repairs and all whole roof replacements with one helper only. This business is just so weather dependent. When the spring FINALLY rolled around it began to rain A LOT and the roofers returned. Not long after that I began to get more calls than i could handle and 1 salesman was hired back on who had spent about 5 months on unemployment. Some equipment was sold as well during the down time. The business is a lot more profitable today than it was before. And i think i lost about 25 pounds too and got paid to do it instead of having to pay. lol The debt was unbearable and impossible to pay off in full as by the time i realized how bad it really was i no longer had the credit necessary to borrow. So it was turned over to a debt restructuring company that makes settlements and gives monthly payments that allow you to survive. Ruins your credit but gets the bills paid off over time. About 75% of the debt has already been paid off. Again its all about the weather baby! It just recently quit raining for about a month and the work dried right up again to NIL save a handfull of repairs. Well monday morning it stormed like crazy and we went from dead to wide open in 6.2 seconds. And that reminds me, I gotta get the heck off this computer and go to work. Good Luck Everybody and best wishes!>>>

July 15, 2009 at 10:12 a.m.

msshottet

JET Said: Our sales are actually up this year which is kind of a surprise. We have put two of our major competitors out of business so Im sure that helps our volume numbers. Were advertising more which comes right off the top and getting more tire kickers instead of buyers but all in all were fine. As long as the rain comes daily, which it does here in FL from June to November, there will be leaky roofs. Ive always said that buying a new roof was like going to the dentist, you never do it until you have to.

JET

What kind of adertising are you doing because work is slow in South Florida>>>

July 14, 2009 at 11:35 a.m.

Jed

I find myself being more conservative with reguards to estimating. Shopping around for a better price on material etc, the xxxx's I usually throw in have been trimmed down too. Three weeks ago we attended a pre-bid with SIXTEEN other contractors. We bid and won the job so now I am paying much closer attention to the logistics involved, loading the roofs, trash removal, time-lines, due to the low numbers and the greater risk of losing money. This may or may not affect the way we do businness in the future but it will certainly highlight areas where the fat can/should be trimmed. Company wide though we are still experiencing a shortage of decent help. Go figure, somethings never change..... >>>

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

LP Building Solutions - Banner Ad - Remodlers Edge
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Redefining Solar Distribution
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - DensDeck StormX eBook
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
NRCA - Side Bar - Roofing Day 2024_01_07_2024