Français

User Access

Leap - Sidebar - LeapPay - Feb 24
Owens Corning - Sidebar Ad - Buesiness Accelerator Roundtables
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
CCS-OpenForBusiness-Sidebar
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

How will the economic stimulus package affect your business?

« Back To Question Of The Month
Author

sarah2

How will the economic stimulus package affect your business?>>>

April 13, 2009 at 8:40 a.m.

Peter1

Hi 2ndgen,

Good to see the positive attitude in Government is having a positive effect.

The Irish Government would do well to follow a similar course because there are people here with plenty of cash sitting in bank accounts doing nothing positive.

I think there is a feeling of shock here, most countries can take an internal downturn because there is usually the safety valve of being able to move to another country or where investments can get a reasonable return.

The difference with the present situation is all modern economies have been hit so any answers must come from within each country, perhaps our people will recognise that being paid 3 time more than people in countries like Poland for the same quality of work was not sustainable.

I think one of the big lessons will be we can't afford to ship all manufacturing to countries like China, the Walmart era was good while it lasted I believe if our respective governments fail to recognise that we should be producing goods in our own countries at prices that are competitive in other countries balancing trade budgets will not be possible.

If our Governments fail to see that the financial services sectors need to be overhauled instead of just patched up to the point where they go back to business as usual nothing will have been learned and it will be just a matter of time before the same thing happens again.

Relying on a strong construction sector where consumers borrow way past their means for houses instead of buying the starter homes they need at prices they can afford is what has us in the present mess.

Banks allowed greed to cloud their judgement and were lending way beyond what the borrowers could afford to repay, in turn the borrowers were left with no option except to demand higher pay making industry uncompetitive.

I believe the picture is very similar in both our countries, our Governments were benefiting from the high tax resulting from the strong construction sector.

Strong leadership would have called in the banks early and set strict guidelines for lending which in turn would have kept prices realistic and instead of crashing both sectors would have cooled and not imposed the need for the high incomes that made our economies unstable.

The legality of imposing sanctions on the financial sector may have been in question, I believe the laws should be changed as part of the present re-structuring, the changes should be based on common sense.

Bonuses should only be paid to the top executives based on sound growth and profitable trading which does not cause long term difficulty for other sectors of society and business.

The crazy practice of paying executives millions per year based on turnover instead of profits must also be addressed, with all the problems we are having in the banking sector one executive tried to get away with paying himself one million euro as his pay and another million in bonuses in a sector that would have collapsed without government intervention !

Such action is exactly what makes consumers extremely cautious about spending their hard earned savings because it clearly displays the Government is still not in control of the financial sector.

I hope the feel good factor in the US starts to display positive results soon because it appears that consumers are willing to spend if they can see they are getting value for their money.>>>

April 12, 2009 at 1:44 p.m.

2ndgen

Sarah Said: How will the economic stimulus package affect your business?

It affected my work in that as soon as it was announced, I got a $100K/year job (which I just walked off of to go back to work for myself again after only 2 months. LOL ).

I already see the effects. It's not actually monetarily as much as it's "attitude". I've noticed people now wanting to pull the trigger on jobs that they'd been holding off on. There's this sense now that things are finally being attended to and that something is at least being tried.

We have the money...people are just being tight about it (as is the case whenever there have been active wars).

I see a lot of work being freed up now and with all the incentives for homeowners to repair their homes (just like in the 90's that caused the boom economically), we're going to get out cut.

Matter of fact, this seems like the early 90's all over again to me. Only this time, I'm not a newbie in his 20's but a seasoned vet who just turned 40 with the experience of how to ride this wave that's about to come in.>>>

April 10, 2009 at 11:21 p.m.

egg

Never leave home without your goggles.>>>

April 10, 2009 at 10:40 a.m.

Jed

.....................oh lighten up Ed, it's just a little back an' forth.....would'nt want to lull newcomers into a false sense of security would we.....>>>

April 10, 2009 at 10:40 a.m.

Jed

"Had to goggle that one Jed tendentious"

ciak, I'm glad you goggled that :laugh:>>>

April 10, 2009 at 1:47 a.m.

Ed The Roofer

And to think.....This is The Topic Of The Month, which will be published for all of our compadres to read how deep and introspective we are, and how well we are capable of holding a professional respectful discussion about the merits of the topic.

Ed>>>

April 9, 2009 at 8:57 p.m.

CIAK

Had to goggle that one Jed tendentious ;) :laugh: :woohoo:>>>

April 9, 2009 at 10:00 a.m.

Jed

I doubt I will ever follow your thinking ciak, but as most of it is purely tendentious, (at least on any thread regarding insurance) no matter.>>>

April 9, 2009 at 7:52 a.m.

CIAK

Yeah Jed if I didn't have one ....ah you think you can't follow my thinking now . Whoa !!! Stick around pal . I remember back in the day when I had a lot of employees. Most were black and spoke street black with a bag of marbles stuffed in there mouth . I couldn't understand a Damn thing they said . I knew I was in trouble . ASAP , I litterly hired an interpreter. I learned to listen and began to understand. All that for this......you will understand me eventually I'm a patience man. Now go back to the corner . :laugh: :laugh:>>>

April 9, 2009 at 7:04 a.m.

Jed

:woohoo: ....not quite the response I expected.....I see you got a spellchecker....good move ciak.>>>

April 8, 2009 at 6:04 p.m.

Peter1

Hi ed,

Good to be back and your memory is spot on although there is an update, the gent who drove the Mercedes died very young for a multi gozillionaire, well young for any man but you get the picture.

The solar I was thinking of is for hot water, the panels for electrcity are very expensive and hard to justify when all the real numbers regarding output and pay back are taken into consideration.

One major advantage California has over Ireland is plenty of sun, if I can get a store of water up to 45 degrees centigrade from a small panel on my office roof today I reckon 65c should be easy in your climate.

While the customer has to spend buying and having the system installed people love anything FREE, which is what they get, free hot water.

Might be worth looking into, if I can be of any help you all know where I am.

>>>

April 8, 2009 at 3:44 p.m.

CIAK

I have no idea the original source . It was sent to me in a email. It was really just humor. I have heard and read many jokes from many sources many of which I had no idea how old or who started it or if it even was an original form . The next time you tell a joke you should reveal who was the author or did the original.... That was really petty Jed... Is that really your face in the avatar??? Or was that plagiarized ? I can't believe some one heading or supervising a large roofing company could possibly look like that and be successful. Sort of the prison look . Just curious. Of course it is Baton Rouge hmmmm Jed put a cone on your head and go stand in the corner. I don't know the original sourse of that . Or you could go play in traffic. ;) :laugh:>>>

April 8, 2009 at 1:26 p.m.

Jed

ciak, re your strong stance on ethics, plagarism is considered unethical. Best you quote the source of your material, lest some assume it is original, and subsequently view you as a plagarist.>>>

April 8, 2009 at 7:46 a.m.

CIAK

I have considered opening an Ice Cream shop that serves only one flavor ...... New Ice Cream Flavor! In honor of the 44th President of the United States , " Barocky Road "

" Barocky Road " will be a blend of half-Vanilla, half-Chocolate, and surrounded by Nuts and Flakes. The Vanilla portion of the mix wil not be openly advertised and posiably denied as an ingredient. The Nuts and Flakes are all very bitter and hard to swallow.The cost is $100.00 per scoop. When purchased it will be presented to you in a large beautiful cone, but then the Ice Cream is taken away and given to the person in line behind you.Thus, you are left with an empty Wallet, no change, holding an empty cone, with no hope of getting any Ice Cream. I'm not feeling very stimulated maybe that is how it will affecdt my new business? :laugh:>>>

April 7, 2009 at 11:50 p.m.

egg

Very good to see you in print Peter. Many is the time I have thought of you and wished you well. Still remember your quote from the rich arab investor that lined out the generational chronology he envisioned for his family. Something like 'my grandfather rode a camel, I drive a Mercedes, and my grandson will ride a camel' although I confess I am not doing it justice in the telling. There might have been a volkswagen in there somewhere. lol. By the way, I'm still using my little greenstone on my keychain everyday that I got from MikeNZ. Little things in life can do a lot to brighten a day.

Bay, that Energy Star credit has less potential for us roofers than for some other types, but it does have the potential to make a deal fly in the right circumstances. Among the downsides are: it only applies to buildings that are the principal residence of the applicant and it only applies to the material cost of certain materials and so far it is only a one-time thing if you tap the full 1500 credit which is not hard to do with insul and/or a coolroof. I calculate it defrays the increased cost of coolroof asphalt shingles over standard ones on a good-sized residence. I'm planning to upgrade windows on my own home because of it. The plus, if you want to be a purist, which I do, is that there isn't much hanky-panky possible with inflated numbers.

Peter, out here in Ca. roofers don't have much opportunity connected with solar. It would be invalid for me to say none, but you really have to be an electrician to get much action in that biz. That's not to say there aren't ways to achieve principal involvement if the desire is compelling and you have plenty of capital. The technology has certainly improved since the last cycle that you and I are not too young to have witnessed, which reminds me I need to go up on my very elderly mother's roof and finally remove that eyesore that never worked right in the first place and hasn't worked at all for over twenty years.>>>

« Back To Question Of The Month
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024