English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
Leap - Sidebar - CTS + EV Giveaway - May 24
TRA Snow & Sun - Ad - Sidebar
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

EPDM

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Anonymous

Can someone give me an idea of what i should be paying per square labor & material to install an epdm roof in Denver, CO?

April 3, 2018 at 7:57 p.m.

Mike H

Wow.... is about all I got to say.

March 31, 2018 at 8:35 a.m.

egg

Once upon a time a long time ago I was expounding to someone about the value of anger.  The way it related to roofing was actually pretty simple.  Hundred degrees, tear-off dirt all over you, tired, frustrated, wondering if even God could pay you enough to get you to the finish line on this job, trying to imagine what the consequences would be if you just walked off the job, everybody on the crew suffering and languishing.  And then the miracle as you experience the emergence of wholesale anger as it turns you into a human volcano.  All that negative energy at your service to focus  on the job.  The whole world snaps into place, everybody digs a little deeper, and the job actually gets finished and even ends up looking great.  "Snatching victory from defeat." Anger has to be channeled.  Just my humble opinion.

March 30, 2018 at 9:05 p.m.

Mike H

As I read this, I am just baffled at emp' s replies, not understanding at all what the problem is, clvr83 pretty well nailed my posts.  But at least I think I see the flaw in my assumption. I thought our cheerful newbie,  empire, was a building owner/ price checker, but it seems perhaps he's a paper contractor looking for a sub rate. Is that the jyst?

March 28, 2018 at 7:23 p.m.

clvr83

I've followed this from the beginning. Mike got to it shortly before me and answered it much better than I would have so I let it go. I read his response with no offense at all, but now I'd like to dissect a couple of sentences.  The first had just a touch of light hearted comedy, but was truly metaphorical of the original post. After explaining his position of why he needed more information, he went on to ask what information would be helpful. Near the end he offered "See what I mean" as if he had his arm around your shoulder.

Mike's questions for a bid are all imperative to bidding an EPDM roof and are similar to mine on every new lead. VAroofing asked an important question about subbing that Mike probably doesn't consider in his atmosphere. VAroofing's 3 questions weren't enough for me to give a ballpark price. Unless the ball park is a $500+/sq variance.

I'm not concerned about who is an A-hole, for I know that we can all be A-holes when it comes to the RCS. We all have employee's whom we love but would also like to give a seriously wicked Indian burn to the next minute.

March 25, 2018 at 10:28 p.m.

Mike H

Vickie,

I can appreciate your call to arms given our history, but he doesn't know me from Adam, and in the "right" tone, I can see entirely why he would take my comments as he did.  And after than immediately went to trying to help the price checker out.

My guess is that VaRoofer is actually a pretty decent guy, and I think it would be a mistake to jump so hastily.  With any luck at all, I'll learn how to accurately price an EPDM roof asking 1/4th the questions I thought I needed answers to, saving me many hours of investigation, enabling me to be about 25% more productive, therefore making the price of admission well worth the abuse.  I was looking forward to seeing how many questions VA asked before giving a number.

When I think of the way I used to act 15 years ago, before I learned how stupid I really am, you could have banned me 50 times in one post.....  Hopefully VA comes back and we get to learn a little more.  But as I've always said, it's your sandbox and you get to do whatever you want.

XO

March 24, 2018 at 10:20 a.m.

vickie

Well Mike, may I please ban VA Roofer just on the grounds we don't want his kind in here?

His comment was met with amusement and dismay.  Amusement because you are far from a douche-bag and dismay that the only ones in here lately are spammers and now a rude guy.

March 21, 2018 at 9:35 p.m.

Mike H

Very kind of you Philip.  Should I expect to receive a certificate in the mail?

Since my inconsideration appears to have chased this price checker away, maybe we can carry on the conversation without him.

Perhaps I can learn a thing or two about internet etiquette and EPDM pricing from my VA colleague.

For what little it's worth, the written word is highly subjective to the mood and attitude of the reader.  The mood and attitude in which my posts were written were not as you seem to have taken them.

February 20, 2018 at 2:21 p.m.

Mike H

But for starters, some of the things needed to even begin to intelligently answer that question include:

Size, height, location, walls or drip edge, type of perimeter metal, tear-off, recover, or new, thickness of epdm, thickness and type of insulation, thickness and type of existing roof if applicable, size and number of roof penetrations.....

See what I mean?

Your new roof could cost anywhere from $2 to $20 a square foot, and even more if it was some ridiculously difficult or otherwise challenging roof.

February 20, 2018 at 2:05 p.m.

Mike H

To a roofer, that question is the equivalent to asking "What should I pay for a Chevy in Denver" or "what should I pay for a house in Denver"

There are so many unanswered questions needed to answer your first one that it's not practical to take the time to ask them all.  This is why a professional roofing contractor does a site visit in order to price a job and not just sit by the phone waiting to tell people how much they will charge to do their roof when they call.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch