English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Duro-Last New Membrane Colors Sidebar ad
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest!
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Redefining Solar Distribution
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Call insurance first, or roofer first?

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Rayancaleb

Hello,

Based on a) the golf-ball sized hail that just pummeled my neighborhood for the last fifteen minutes, and b) the battered shards of wood shakes scattered around my yard, I'm guessing I have some degree of damage to my roof.What's the typical order of operations here? Should I get a professional roofer to check it out and assess the damage first, then submit a claim for the amount of the repair (or replacement...*)? Or do I call the insurer first? My concern would be the insurer doing their own assessment and handing me a check, then finding out later that the repair costs more than what they gave me. I think that answers my own question, but I've not done this before and would appreciate any previous experience.

Please help

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

Thanks

October 20, 2018 at 4:00 a.m.

Chadmiller

According to me you should call for an insurance company, as if the roof is resting to replace fully then it must be require high cost that can get covered by an Insurance company. The insurance company will fill up the damage caused by flood or wind, if you have already had an agreement with them for fire/flood/water damage Glendale. If an insurance agency is denying the fact then you can even contact to public adjusters like Alliance public adjusters.

March 16, 2018 at 7:57 p.m.

natty

First of all, roofing, hail, and insurance is all a racket.  I empathize with any first time homeowner who has to go through this experience.  Golf ball hail isn't that bad.  That is, it is usually not catastrophic where roofs get covered with tarps to prevent further damage.

It is this marginal hail damage that causes all the problems with incompetent people chasing their tails and storms.  If you are worried about getting insurance to pay for any and all the damages, don't because there is an army of folks you can hire to put the screws to your insurance.  The biggest problem is going to be finding competent people to do the work.  If you know a roofer, pay him to inspect the damages.  Always hire a local guy and don't try to game him.  Whatever he charges to do the roof, the insurance will pay.  You just have to pay the deductible.  My experience has been that insurance adjusters are pretty lenient.  What out for roofers who sub out the work or hire a bunch of day laborers to do the work.  There is just too much easy and fast money.  If they carry liability insurance, get a copy of their policy.  An insurance salesman once told me that even though the roofer did crap work, they are covered.  Since the statute of limitations is ten years for latent defects, I suppose you can sue them if your roof starts falling off.  And I have seen that happen.

March 7, 2018 at 7:42 p.m.

clvr83

If you have a local trusted roofer, call him to get on his list at 7am. He is going to be smokin busy soon and you don't want to be left going with somebody you might regret.

Whatever the insurance decides on their initial inspection is never final. Some roofers wait to get the adjusters bid first before writing their estimate, so don't be surprised to hear that. Look over your siding very well, but your adjuster should do all that. You likely have to get a lot of new window screens, garage door aluminum wraps, maybe even garage doors, etc..

What is your addre****Whoops.  I don't chase storms.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Adams & Reese - Banner Ad- Being Prepared for OSHA (On-demand RLW)
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Redefining Solar Distribution
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Sidebar ad