Français

User Access

SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
USG - Sidebar - Fire
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

ant's in foam roof

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

jerry

Hi ya'll had a leak in a foam roof last week around an exhaust vent over the bathroom,it had about 10 matchstick size holes in roof . I caulked them and checked next day and there were 3 more holes.so I took a half inch paddle bit drilled several holes around area and sprayed ant srpay and caulked holes. will go back next week and check for more holes. anyone else ever run into this ?

December 22, 2018 at 1:33 a.m.

Fredaberube

I agree with this, Moisture attracts insects and other critters moisture is a breeding place for them. There is nothing worse than to have your home is occupied by stink bugs and ants. I would like to suggest you to replace the roof with concrete or with the cement shingles and to lock all the entry points of pests, so that the pests like rats, ants, mice won't enter inside the home. My sister got fed up with the roof rats and thus after trying all the DIY methods she contacted to rodent exterminator NYC who sealed all the entry points and exterminated the rats.

March 29, 2018 at 3:45 p.m.

vickie

bump

May 9, 2013 at 9:41 a.m.

Rockydog

A couple of photos to go along with my story up above. looking at the pictures I guess it wasnt as sttep as it seemed. It was about 10 years ago

May 5, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.

tinner666

That's why I hate summer roofing.

May 5, 2013 at 12:47 p.m.

wywoody

I was watching a football game in my family room when I noticed movement on the deck outside. There was a train of ants, each carrying a piece of foam about 20 times bigger than the ant crossing my deck. They were coming from the hot tub. I sprayed around it and didn't see anymore of them but when I retired the hot tub about a decade later and saw the bottom of it, the foam looked like swiss cheese and there were ants living in it.

May 5, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.

Rockydog

Back 10 yars or so I was doing a tile R&R on the backside of a racetrack grandstand. Now imagine this, the grand stand has a flat foof on it that is at least 3 football fields lined up side to side. The tile portion was, as I said, on the backside. Mansard Style. about 20' x 650'.12/12 pitch. The flat roof was 84' high. On the front corner near the end of the roof where we were working but still 280' away was a 8'x8'x8' speaker box that blasted out actions on the horse track. The Crow's Nest, where the annoucers sat, was dead center at the front of the flat roof. The Crows Nest was the only access point to the roof via a catwalk that ran under the roof back to the top of the seat incline. well anyways, we were up ther working, about 12 of us, our third day on the job and it's Friday. I have a huge crane set up to lift pallets of material to the roof. This crane is so big they wont allow it to be on the road during rush hour. Earlier in the day I noticed some bees darting in and out of the speaker box on the front of the grandstand. they weren't bothering us at the moment but to be safe I contacted the track manager. A couple hours goes by and two men come walking across the roof to talk to me. The manager and a bee keeper/pest control expert. The bee keeper proceeded to tell me what was going to happen and the gist of that was that he was going to put a bee bomb in the speaker and the bees are going to go crazy for a couple of days. I ask when he was going to do this and he said "NOW". I said you cant do that now as I have all this work going on and you would make it dangerous for us to work. He said his only option was to come back Monday. Doing it Monday means I wont be able to work until at least Wednesday. So my mind was scrambling on what to do. About 3 hours left in the work day, I have a pallet attached to the crane resting on the roofs edge, I can't afford to send the pallet down and send the crane away just to come back for one pallet so I ask the bee keeper to give me 10 minutes to unload the pallet. I figure we can go home after that. The bee keeper agrees to give the time to unload the pallet.

So we start unloading the pallet of tile. Pallet is double stacked, we cut the first course of bands. and we start moving as fast as we can. Now we can't stack this tile in one place as it would cave in from too much weight so the guys have to run it down the roof line about 5 pieces each trip to spread it out. Now, I am standing on the edge of the roof on one side of the pallet holding the tile up on the back side so it doesn't fall 80' to the ground and another guy is on the other side of the pallet. It's elbows and asses as we try to unload this pallet as quickly as possible. All of a sudden I felt something unusual and then again. The next I know my guys and I are jumping and swatting at bees. I instantly look up at the speaker box and then I see the bee keeper high tailing it to the Crows Nest with a swarm of bees around him and behind him. I yelled to my guys to let's get the hell out of hear and we all started running to the Crows Nest. As we ran we had to run thru the swarm that followed the bee keeper. Finally getting inside the Nest it was air conditioned and calmed the bees done considerably. I started out the back door of the Nest and across the catwalk, as I approached the staircase the bee keeper was standing there swatting a few bees as he was taking off his face mask and gloves. I grabbed him by the throat and seriously thought of throwing him off the catwalk. I was so close to his face I must have split on him 20 times as I was yelling and screaming at him for doing something so stupid and dangerous after you said you would give us the time to unload the pallet. As It turned out there were 2 guys still up on the roof that evidently ran to the far end of the roof. I made bee keeper go up and get them down. Then it occured to me that the crane was still hung up up there as he couldn't move because of the unsecured tile. I sent the bee keeper back up ther again to secure the tile so the crane operator could drop the pallet. All of us got 10-20 stings and one guy had to go to the clinic to get checked out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

May 5, 2013 at 10:37 a.m.

spudder1

Moisture attracts insects and other critters moisture is a breeding place for them. We had problems with termites then when they died the ants started to clean the area up.

May 4, 2013 at 10:06 p.m.

OLE Willie

I've had a snake crawl up out of a rotten hole in a valley and lunge at me, roofed a house with over 100 pigeons in the attic, repaired a roof that was infested with a bee hive and once did an 8 layer tear off with thousands of red wasps between the layers.

But nope, can't say i've ever seen that before. :dry:

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

MCA - Summer Meeting 2024 - Banner ad
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
USG - Sidebar - Fire
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
NRCA - National Roofing Week 2024_04_09_2024
ASC Building Products - Sidebar - Metal Resources - March
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio