User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Watching the Caribbean

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

CIAK

The storm in the Gulf is looking like it will become an event. I've been told I'm outta here if it occurs . Seems like a long time for me to be sitting waiting . California is the place I wanna be. This is the begging of a very busy storm season . If I get called I'll stay in touch . I hope you guys have prepared your selves to make some serious money . I'm torn between contracting and insurance adjuster . I'm not sure . I lean towards comfort which to me isn't contracting . I fall into a funk when I even start to think abut it.

June 29, 2010 at 6:55 p.m.

CIAK

This is the latest from my sources .... + or - 50 miles south of Brownsville . That is good for Texas as far a damage goes because coastal region is sparsely populated . If this is what happens the storm surge will be where most damage occures . Expecting a Cat 1

Corpus Christi, TX: 42% tropical storm, 1% hurricane.

La Pesco, MX: 37% tropical storm, 3% hurricane.

Freeport, TX: 18% tropical storm, 0% hurricane.

Tampico, MX: 14% tropical storm, 0% hurricane.

Galveston, TX: 13% tropical storm, 0% hurricane.

June 29, 2010 at 6:46 p.m.

tico

looks like it's gonna bang on corpus and brownsville.

June 29, 2010 at 3:55 p.m.
June 29, 2010 at 1:14 p.m.

tico

theirs all sorts of craziness with too much down here anymore. they want 1099 or w-2's for the years.yet they do little in enforcement.

June 29, 2010 at 1:19 a.m.

jimAKAblue

How do you prove that you had 3 years working? Does it have to be working in Fl?

I'm guessing that there is a lot of fudged work histories.

June 28, 2010 at 5:00 p.m.

tico

jimAKAblue Said: Be careful of what you wish for: I think licensing is a really bad idea. I came from MI where every suit had a license and the blue collar guys that actually know how to build couldnt pass the test. Now, the licensing thing is nothing more than a money grab there.
and now down here in S.fl. the roofers with paper are or were hands on. here in Martin co. to even get a handymans liscense you've got to show 3 years working.

June 28, 2010 at 12:41 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Be careful of what you wish for: I think licensing is a really bad idea. I came from MI where every suit had a license and the blue collar guys that actually know how to build couldn't pass the test. Now, the licensing thing is nothing more than a money grab there.

June 28, 2010 at 9:34 a.m.

tico

I think ins. co.s should have A panel of roofers to help revamp their policies for the many different catastrophies that take place where roofs are directly related. personally,last year in ATL i saw roofs get torn off and replaced that had hail damage.much of the damage was dents and grannules removed,yet the matting was in tact. I know this if I never know a frickin thing.the roofs were not leaking,the matting will hold up for the next few years. ATL gets replacement worthy storms every few years.why should the homeowner get a new roof every 3,4 or 5 years?yes,I went to some homes that had roofs replaced that often.lots of them. the roof,damaged this year,without leaks will last A few or more years. their should be policy stipulation that every ins. co. should apply.that we aren't going to replace your sanded roof.we will put in your jacket that after the next prevailing storm we will re-inspect your roof and determine it's status and go from there. I've roofed,kicked 90,slung a mop and shingled half of dade co. over the years. myself and any other roofer,like most of the cats on this site can determine the longevity or life expectancy if you will of A roof. I really think some sort of reformation would revitalize the industry. and make the liscensing specific to the company.you got A roofing Co.YOU get the liscense and pass the test.and have a verified documented history of roofing,hands on.

June 28, 2010 at 9:14 a.m.

jimAKAblue

I am in Texas (Austin) but I've never run across anything that referenced Texas Wind.

I have had mixed results getting wind damaged houses bought. Some get bought without hesitation. Others have been denied and some have repairs authorized. There is one neighborhood that we worked in (briefly) that needs every roof replaced...but they are denying full replacement. One customer had repairs done three times. Each time a storm rolls through, more shingles get lifted and torn off. When we got there, she had dozens of broken shingles....they still denied the claim.

I'll go back to the sub when they (the homeowners) decide that they better replace their roofs instead of trying to repair them.

June 27, 2010 at 10:29 p.m.

tico

oh,for some reason I'd thought you were in Tejas. lift is directly attributed to wind damage and not neccessarily hurricane specific. the houston area can get some high winds now and again.in Laporte outside of houston after the hurricane some H/O/s were accused of tearing shingles from their roofs.the adjusters had come out and denied their claim for lift damage from the hurricane. then around january I had one specific customer that had some shingle blown from his roof during A wind storm.the ins.co. sent another adjuster out with photos from the original adjuster which showed no missing shingles. the h/O contacted me,as I had photos identifying the lifted shingles and their pattern on several areas of the roof.which I then showed the next adjuster.he had me send my photos in an e mail,processed the claim and closed/cleared the complaint for the H/O. this was snake farm,not texas whined.they started to deny all claims.then Allstale,and snake farm started to follow suit,when USAA also filed in line it sort of sealed the fate of the folks. I will say this Farmers did not treat their clients as badly.

June 27, 2010 at 10:15 p.m.

jimAKAblue

I'm not familiar with hurricane damage and/or the Texas Wind program. That's why I asked for a clarification.

Thank you.

June 27, 2010 at 6:51 p.m.

tico

jimAKAblue Said:
tico Said: dont bother with Texas.as soon as texas Wind denies A claim the others will follow suit.theirs already A class action in Houston over lifted roofs.they look fine,stand them out in a hurricane and see what happens.

Are you saying that Texas Wind will not cover any roofs that are blown off?

I said lifted,where did blown off come from?lifted shinles.that get blown up then debris and sand etc. blown in between the lower shingle and the next run. i know all of Haags lift calculations and what they say about re-sealing. and from what my roofing experience is after Andrew in miami where we did more than 300 roofs,back when white boys roofed daded co. I do know something about what will re-seal and what won't.they will tack.A sealed shingle can't be tugged or seperated with the flick of a finger or finger nail.

June 27, 2010 at 2:20 p.m.

CIAK

Jim This is another good resource to answer that question .The property is covered if it is insured properly . http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/home/windandhail.html Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA)

If your property is located in one of Texas' 14 coastal counties, or parts of southeastern Harris County, you will likely only be able to obtain insurance coverage for windstorm or hail damage from a special insurance pool called the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA.) To qualify for TWIA coverage, your property must pass a windstorm inspection and must meet certain windstorm-resistant building standards. You cannot buy or change TWIA coverage once a hurricane has entered the Gulf of Mexico. For more information about windstorm coverage call TWIA or visit the website I posted

June 27, 2010 at 2:15 p.m.

jimAKAblue

tico Said: dont bother with Texas.as soon as texas Wind denies A claim the others will follow suit.theirs already A class action in Houston over lifted roofs.they look fine,stand them out in a hurricane and see what happens.

Are you saying that Texas Wind will not cover any roofs that are blown off?

June 27, 2010 at 8:33 a.m.

CIAK

Wilson I will not be there contracting. I'll be working the storm in my other life . Texas wind is a problem if you don't understand it , This may help if your planning on making it out .At least get you started............. http://www.twia.org/

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Owens Corning - Sidebar - Roofle + OC - June
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
RCS - Sidebar - L&L contest
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Polyglass - Sidebar - Polystick XFR - July