User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
NFBA - Sidebar Ad - Accredited Builder
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
GCMC-Podcast-WinTraining-Sidebar-2
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Underlayment

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TARBABY

Has anyone used Intertapes new Nova Seal underlay? How does it stack up against Titanium , Feltex or Grace? I am especially worried about when wet, here in Seattle.>>>

August 26, 2015 at 9:32 p.m.

tinner666

Still using felt. Feel like I'm just using plastic tarp without grommets when using synthetic. Tried Deck Armor and lifted it the day after a rain. Deck was wet and took 2-3 hours to dry before I could work again.

August 12, 2015 at 9:39 a.m.

roofer54

When it gets wet???

August 10, 2015 at 9:58 p.m.

Lefty1

Never use grace. The synthetic we use is not slippery at all. Just the opposite.

May 5, 2013 at 3:44 p.m.

clvr83

As far as installation goes, I'm w/ Woody. Titanium all the way, because of ease of installation and traction. Most synthetics are better suited for a water slide. On 4 & 5/12's we sometimes run 15# to save money.

We installed 15# primarily for years. What I always thought was amazing was all the times when rain would popup WHILE we were roofing causing rain to run beneath the newly laid shingles....and NOT leak. We did a good job w/ felt, which we all know can mean putting a lot of patches on, mainly over plank.

We normally have tarps ready, but rain happens.

I've had titanium 30 on my chicken coop for almost 2 years now. Although it does look like it could leak anytime soon. Maybe I ought to get a roof on there.

May 4, 2013 at 9:04 p.m.

OLE Willie

The weather is very predictable here if you keep a close eye on the radar.

Only exception is the summer months when the heat can pop up a storm right over your head with little to no warning.

So, I keep the roofs nailed back on as we go along, have the tear off guys keep the felt laid and have a large tarp nearby at all times especially in the summer months.

May 4, 2013 at 7:19 p.m.

pgriz

Eric, our mantra is "strip only what you can waterproof the same day". We've had a few close calls, and the new modern way of having the weather radar on our cell phones does help. Although I have seen also the "miracle" rain falling out of an apparently (according to the weatherpeople) cloudless sky.

May 4, 2013 at 3:29 p.m.

egg

Paul, what you say about choices being informed by local conditions is the trump card for sure. If you're going to play trumps, I'll follow you; just show me where to sign. You and Darryl must have about the toughest conditions to deal with of anybody here, although I have to say I can't imagine ever having MikeNZ's patience in dealing with his weather-driven site conditions.

We just worked a half day today to finish drying in one. Our first week of 90 degree days pretty much smoked us after months of mild mild conditions. Suddenly they call for chance of rain. You can just never take anything for granted, or you are a fool if you do. I know it well because I've tried quite a few times and suffered for it.

May 2, 2013 at 11:49 p.m.

OLE Willie

I passed by a new construction home the other day that had some kind of synthetic underlayment installed that had been on the roof for some time.

That stuff had more wrinkles on it than a 100 year old roofer! :laugh:

May 2, 2013 at 5:49 p.m.

Old School

Daryl, 15# felt weighed bout 64 pounds, because it had 4 squares of coverage and 432 square feet of total area with the laps. Now they sell #15 (number 15) felt and that weighs about 30 pounds for 4 squares. It is a lot different and cheaper, but it costs a lot more than the old felts did. That just shows how much purchasing poser the dollar has lost over the last 30 years. it is workth about 8 or 9 cents compared to 1980 and about 3 cents compared to 1965.

Inflation is a nasty little crime that steals money from everyuone but the people that are running the printing presses and the bankers that lend nothing and charge interest for it.

May 2, 2013 at 8:46 a.m.

spudder1

Rolled goods weight is measured by the amount it weighs per roofing sq. Now a roll of#15 then should weigh 60 lbs and #90 should be 90lbs all I know is that back in the early 70's we were buying #15 and #30 for $ 4.50 a roll, 100 steep asphalt 4.50 per 100 cwt check the prices today lol

May 2, 2013 at 5:29 a.m.

OLE Willie

In the early 80's I worked a few weeks at a double wide mobile home manufacturing plant.

They gave us a large roll of black plastic that covered one entire side of the double wide.

Just roll it across ONE time and staple it down and woo lah, your done!

Does this count as actual underlayment?

It was after all laid under! :laugh:

May 1, 2013 at 9:13 p.m.

tinner666

UL 30# probably weighs 50# or so. It's twice the size and thickness of #30. Same for UL 15#. It's thicker than #30 and the much heavier. Warrior Brand, Another is from BC. Only one supplier around here has it.

May 1, 2013 at 6:55 p.m.

roofermann

What gets me is that a 2sq roll of 30# felt might weigh 40lbs. should it not weigh 60?

May 1, 2013 at 6:44 p.m.

OLE Willie

tinner666 said: If it’s as good as rumor has it, even jacklegs will be able to do roofs without too many leaks further helping us avoid any warranty issues.

:laugh: :cheer: :unsure: :P :blink: ;)

I started roofing in 1985. We never did a roof without there being felt on it that I can recall. However, just to be quite frank with everyone we did many back in the day just re-using the old felt.

I also remember tearing off a lot of roofs that had bare wood underneath.

May 1, 2013 at 5:32 p.m.

Old School

We installed THOUSANDS of roofs with no felt in the 50's and 60's and early 70's

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RCS - L&L contest
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

WSCRA - Side Bar - RCS Ticket Giveaway
Western Colloid - Sidebar Ad - FAAR Best Practices
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Equipter - Sidebar - $200 Rebate 2
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS