User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
Quarrix - Sidebar - SmartPlug Free Sample - April 2024
WSRCA - Side Bar - Western Roofing Expo 2024
Pli-Dek - Sidebar - Only the Best - June
Georgia-Pacific - Sidebar Ad - HD ISO
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

The "Old School slate school" is now in session

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

tinner666

No telling what was in their minds, assuming they had minds! :unsure:>>>

September 10, 2009 at 9:52 p.m.

tinner666

"How come you had to do this? did the flat roof guys try to pull up the slates to install their roof? the white roof didn't look new."

They didn't use a ripper Mike. They just broke them out of there. I see it often. >>>

September 10, 2009 at 9:42 p.m.

tinner666

Not knocking you, btw. I like what you're doing. The past week, I've been on 3 slate roofs with hooks. The slate were nailed so tightly, the hooks chipped the bottom center of every slate they held in place. The spot would chip out when sliding them in. Seldom see one done correctly.

Just before dark, my current client called from his rooftop, 40' up. I had left the ladder tied off, and all the hook ladders up there. He was inspecting my work and the chimney guy's work. Wowser! At least he complimented my repair work and was happy that my description of his roof matched what was there too. The call really had me worried he'd fall. You know I lighten my hook ladders. And a rookie can dislodge one easily.>>>

September 10, 2009 at 9:25 p.m.

tinner666

I use the hooks on occasion, but mostly just nail and bib. Hard hat? No. OSHA and I went around on that back in '72 or'73. They finally agreed with me and decided I was right. If a plane, or the sky fell on me when I was the high spot, the hard hat wouldn't really be a help. They rewrote that rule. They did close the site down for 4 hours while 'deciding'!

BTW, I got a Rent-a-Roofer client with a slate roof about the same pitch. I told him to use a hook ladder. After I taugh him how to use a cutter and a hammer, etc, he owned up that he alwasy sent his 80# daughter up there after school to do all the work! No scaffold, no hook ladder either!>>>

September 10, 2009 at 9:14 p.m.

tinner666

It's the same stuff I see all over Va, OS. "Some of the slates are chipped and broken, but it is 45 feet down to the ground and I have to pull everything up by hand. I am going to use what I have on the roof before I haul up anymore. Sorry about that!" I do that at times also. I couldn't tell in the pic, but I would have bibbed above that 4th' slate because the chip gets pretty close to the keyway. Nice work, BTW.>>>

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

NRCA - Banner - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Contractor Outlook - Sponsored by SRS
Bitec - StrongHold Sidebar Ad
NRCA - Side Bar - 2025 NRCA Gold Circle Award