User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
Westlake - Sidebar Ad - Special roofing that rises above it all
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
METALCON - Side Bar - METALCON 2024: Metal Tradeshow Conference & Expo
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

PITCH @)#!@*&^

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

TARBABY

Havent torn off a pitch roof in a while, chit in my ears, hair, nose, and I have wipe off my sunglasses every 2 minutes. Thankfully, I have some invoicing to do for now....

August 11, 2010 at 7:44 a.m.

thebaycompany

Pitch is the B*tch...I love it..... Been repairing flashings and penetrations for 40 years, recently spoke with a few old school engineers..... rumor has it that a lot of projects are considering pitch T&G roofs again, for the obvious reasons.... why mess with success?

i know...im a dinosaur..... old school roofig....slate and pitch..... not a lot of competition.

August 10, 2010 at 12:50 p.m.

CIAK

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: B)

August 10, 2010 at 9:07 a.m.

TARBABY

bumping for pictures from lanny. I want to see the tandem torch technique :woohoo: :woohoo:

July 28, 2010 at 6:45 p.m.

CIAK

Lanny ??

July 27, 2010 at 7:34 a.m.

CIAK

Lanny Whoa man a circus side show. I Would love to see that. Post a couple of pics. Did someone teach you that? Hell bells man while your at it double fist beers and ice-cream. :laugh: :laugh: B) :) :) B)

July 27, 2010 at 6:59 a.m.

Jed

I can't imagine that- being a righty a torch in my left hand would'nt be a good idea at all. Up North the way we were taught was to burn down the whole roll in one pass, coming in from the left side so that the residual heat works on the lap so the most you would have to do is come back and target a fishmouth. Down here they burn down the field and then come back and do all the laps in one hit. I prefer the system up North because there is less room for errors- when ur done ur done.

July 26, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.

Jed

Happens to us all Lanny. The hot foot thing stopped when I moved from CT to FL cos down there you don't walk the roll due to the heat already present.

July 23, 2010 at 8:02 a.m.

CIAK

Billy The formidable " Chuck Norris " of flat roofing Mike NZ has a method using a nine iron and he works from the front side pulling instead of kicking it. No hot foot with that technique . Back in the day before time was like it is today I was messing with Mod-Bits kicking the roll . Smoked my toes and banana roll. That was enough for me I wanted to find out what it was like , back to the bean count . If I had to guess .I really didn't want to know . Leave it to the pros's B) ;) :) B)

July 23, 2010 at 7:17 a.m.

Jed

lol, "hot foot" sux.

July 22, 2010 at 6:22 p.m.

TARBABY

Jed: I still wear jeans to this day on BUR, but what really taught me to be a less messy mopper was my wife doing my laundry :blush: :lol:

Ciak : I am sorry to hear you lost your dad early, I was 23 when mine passed, and I am a ripe old 31 now. But your dad sounds exactly like mine, almost sadistic to a sense but there really is no better way to learn than trial by fire.

There are some classic ass chewings he gave me I will never forget, my 1st leak might have been the worst ever, but it was always a lesson learned and a valuable growing experience.

My favorite experience ever was literally trial by fire, when he was teaching me torch down, I caught my shoe on fire... :blush: :woohoo: :laugh:

July 22, 2010 at 7:36 a.m.

CIAK

Billy I like the direction of that reply. “One father is more than a hundred Schoolemasters.”Welsh poet George Herbert wrote that almost 400 years ago. I lost my father when I'd just turned 20. One lesson he wanted to teach me was how to listen. I ,like you very bullheaded at the time. He knew the only way I could be taught.... experience. I still think he may have had a little sadistic side in him "God Bless my Dad " . One story we were tuning the El Camino . Now mind you this way back in the 60's before time was like it is today . 327 Chevy . " Chuck reach over and hold onto that wire coming out of the middle of the distributor." Well when he knew I was holding on he revs the engine . My God my hair I imagine stood straight up as the current ran through my veins . He lets up on the pedal gets out of the car comes around to where I shaking and say to me : Now don't ever do that with the motor running again son ." Good Ole Dad

B) ;) ;) B)

July 22, 2010 at 6:54 a.m.

Jed

I still have those scars too. It taught me to be a less messy mopper, and to never let anyone else dip. Still always wore cutoffs.

July 21, 2010 at 9:10 p.m.

TARBABY

Webmaster Steve Said: I remember the first time I tore off pitch I was 16 and the foreman sent me over to tear off a 2 sq area on the roof but didnt tell me any thing about what pitch does to your skin. by the time I was half way through I was burnin up he thought it was funny, told me that was my initiation.

Sounds like my dad..My 1st time to go to work with him, I was 10, we stopped at the store at 530 to get a drink, he said get a gatorade, I got a chocolate milk, he said put it back and get a gatorade, I asked why? He said do what he says or I will regret it later, I get the chocolate milk anyways, 930 rolls around and I am puking my guts up, and that was just cleaning the ground for 20 dollars on the day. God bless Alabama summers.

My 1st time to work on a built up, I am 16, about to jump in the truck, and dad says, Go put on some blue jeans, and I say, pops its gonna be almost 100 degrees today, I am wearing shorts to work...I still have marks on my legs...stupid mop bucket..

My dad let me learn the hard way my entire life, because I was bullheaded and he just thought it was funny.

July 21, 2010 at 8:30 p.m.

Old School

Been there!

July 21, 2010 at 4:02 p.m.

CIAK

One Out Of Four People In This Country Are Mentally Unbalanced . Think Of Your 3 Closest Friends . If They Seem Okay . Then Your The One http://abc.go.com/shows/wipeout B) :laugh: :laugh: B)

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Instant Roofer - Banner Ad - Embed Calculator
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
METALCON - Side Bar - Ticket Giveaway
APOC - Sidebar - 3x Points - June
RoofSnap - Sidebar Ad 250x265 - Free Roof Measurements
Metal-Era / Hickman - Sidebar Ad - Product Launch