English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
SRS - Sidebar Ad - SRS Para Latinos
Rocky Mountain Snow Guards - Sidebar Ad - Show Us Your Snow Guards Contest! (2)
Contractor Outlook Newscast - Curtis McDonald
Project Map It - Side Bar - Digital Portfolio
USG - Sidebar - Wind
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

Opinion requested

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

Mike M.

For any of you who have been in roofing business for awhile or longer, what would be your advice , in one sentence or less, to someone who is just getting in? Or what word best describes anything and everything you have ever done to get started, keep the door open, and still continue ?My advice would be start young enough, and never retire. My one word would be " two actually, "bloody knuckles".

May 24, 2010 at 9:04 p.m.

soldierboy

Start off with knowing your numbers, surround yourself with people who are smarter in areas that you don't know so well...

May 24, 2010 at 7:02 a.m.

Jed

Great post Lanny. Wish I had half that advice to give....great post.

May 23, 2010 at 5:36 p.m.

CIAK

No joke TomB this is not out of comic books . Morality can be controlled . http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/brains-moral-compass-shifted-magnets-study-finds/story?id=10243784 This lends credence to the information about electrical appliances and magnetic fields . Very interesting the idea that there are multiple systems for morality you can selectively target and impair one at a time out side the will of the person.

May 23, 2010 at 4:32 p.m.

TomB

Check your moral compass, if your a decent/honest sort, get out while the get'n's good!

May 22, 2010 at 11:44 a.m.

CIAK

I've tried to get out of this business but it just keeps coming back to me. The Sicilian connection is just getting off the ground. We met in Washington DC last month a blast and formulated plans. The newest interest roofing is an LLC with a young guy who has ten times the energy I have . That is one of the first ingredients ? 1 Start young. 2 Customer service 3 Customer service 4 Did I mention Customer Service.

May 20, 2010 at 11:31 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Thanks for that nice post Lanny. It was more than one sentence but who's counting?

May 18, 2010 at 12:20 a.m.

dp

When I was young I learned to never cut corners or take shortcuts and fake it because you won't get callbacks (that don't pay) and mainly, when its time to get the check you can't be called on anything. Something still valuable today, that was in 1976. Good luck.

May 17, 2010 at 6:10 p.m.

Mike H

RUN

May 17, 2010 at 3:12 p.m.

RandyB1986

Learn Spanish :silly:

May 17, 2010 at 2:34 p.m.

jimAKAblue

Find a great sub, then set your prices accordingly so you can profit on each job.

May 17, 2010 at 1:44 p.m.

Mike M.

All opinions were great, varied in nature but all seemed to have a common bottom line, Don't go into this business. I agree with all answers, I would never go into it , if had it to do over, but, it is sort of like swimming across a lake 100 feet deep, you get half way across, why turn around, it is the same distance either way , so you have to get to the other side, or drown. I love it though, wouldn't change now, no way.

May 17, 2010 at 11:40 a.m.

jcagle9595

Mike M. Said: For any of you who have been in roofing business for awhile or longer, what would be your advice , in one sentence or less, to someone who is just getting in? Or what word best describes anything and everything you have ever done to get started, keep the door open, and still continue ?My advice would be start young enough, and never retire. My one word would be two actually, bloody knuckles.

Pretty tall request for a one sentence answer.

Bloody knuckles works if you are actively running the crew as a salesman/bookkeeper/foreman/roofer/contractor. I never lost money when operating in that mode.

But here's the best I can do at the moment: Find a niche that isn't a reverse auction and master it, including the business side of it..

May 17, 2010 at 9:19 a.m.

JET

Without connections and lots of money to survive the first few years I'd say look into another profession. This one, just like a lot of other construction related careers is tied too much to the economy and if you don't know how to ride the waves you'll drown (in debt) for sure. With that said, if you can walk into an ongoing operation where the owner is due to retire (or sell) in the next few years I'd see what part could be played in being the new owner. A roofing company takes many years to get established enough where referral business keeps you going through the lean times.

JET

May 17, 2010 at 8:17 a.m.

wywoody

The hare will have some bigger paydays, but the turtle wins the race.

May 17, 2010 at 7:27 a.m.

RandyB1986

I would tell them to go to college and stay out of roofing....honestly, there is an easier life.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Tremco - Baner Ad - Safety First: Tremco
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Instant Roofer - Sidebar Ad - Embed Calculator
Cougar Paws - Sidebar Ad - The Tool You Wear Gif
RCS - Trends Survey - 2024 Sidebar ad
MRCA - Side Bar - 2024 MRCA Conference & Expo
IKO - Sidebar - Summit Grey
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders