Français

User Access

Wil-Mar - Sidebar - Free Pipe Collar 10/23
Polyglass - Sidebar - PolyAnchor - April 2024
SRS TopShield - Sidebar Ad - CraftGrade Independence
CRRC - Annual Meeting Registration 2024 = Sidebar Ad
ASC Building Products - Sidebar - Metal Resources - March
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
RoofersCoffeeShop - Where The Industry Meets!
English
English
Español
Français

HELP! PROFIT MARGIN QUESTION.

« Back To Roofers Talk
Author

natty

Or rather... what a fool.

You missed my point. Communism and Capitalism are similar in respect that they both exploit labor. Communism doesn't work because it removes individual initiative. Capitalism fails without govt provided safety nets. America is at the point that even the safety nets are failing and has become dependent on cheap foreign labor. I have spent 40 years on the roof- maybe my brains are fried- but it has given me a lot of time to think. Knee-jerk reactionism gets us no where. I fight for a lot of things and one of them is freedom for ALL- not just the few at the top.

July 7, 2014 at 10:33 p.m.

Mike H

natty Said: What a joke.

Or rather... what a fool.

My family fled communist Russia. There is no similarity, and it's why communism has failed everywhere it's tried. USSR, Cuba, Vietnam, China... oh yes, China may still be "communist", but not in business.

Crying foul and whining about the system doesn't make the system wrong. It just makes you a whiner.

There's a part of me that wants to apologize for being so harsh, but too many men have died to protect what you trash, and my family worked to hard to achieve what could not be done in the land from which they came, and I won't sit back and listen to such crap without an appropriate response.

July 5, 2014 at 3:55 p.m.

natty

Mike H Said:

In some ways, not much has changed. Find a way to compete, or go hungry. It is still the capitalist way.

The capitalist way is he who owns the capital, rules. Some think that capitalism and communism are opposites. I think that they are merely opposite sides of the same coin. It is too bad that in both systems, labor is considered nothing but another commodity. So any talk of "profit margin" is an exploitative delusion. For example, I have seen it over and over again. Some guy wants to open up a business and goes and hires a bunch of day labors to do the work- adjust to scale. What a joke.

June 26, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

Lefty1

Roofguy Said: .

No, we use Liquid Nails to put a shingle roof on. It is just like nails only not so pointy.

I have used roof cement to install roof shingles. They do not leak or blow off. That is what we did when we needed extra protection.

June 25, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

TomHay

Lefty Said: The thing that is different today is you can not smell the Hot. I miss the smell of Hot. As a kid it always ushered in the Spring. When you smelled Hot you knew Spring was here.

I never did Hot work, but loved the smell.

If you do what everyone else does, you will get what everyone else does.

Everyone asks me are you busy. I always say yes. Then they will say that there are so many people laid-off. I say, yes, 10% are laid-off. I work for the 90% that are still working.

What is this freaking American Idol??????? I think that last paragraph should be carved in grantite and be at the top part of every thread.

Best line in RCS HISTORY and I didn't post it. I will get with LeakMon as history has changed, fantastic.

June 25, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

Chuck2

Everyone asks me are you busy. I always say yes. Then they will say that there are so many people laid-off. I say, "yes, 10% are laid-off. I work for the 90% that are still working.

That is just TOO FUNNY Lefty! :laugh:

Most of the people who call me stressing "free" estimate, mentioning "insurance dispute", saying its just a "small" leak. Etc. never get an estimate from me at all.

"ALL" of the rest do! ;)

June 25, 2014 at 6:01 p.m.

Lefty1

The thing that is different today is you can not smell the Hot. I miss the smell of Hot. As a kid it always ushered in the Spring. When you smelled Hot you knew Spring was here.

I never did Hot work, but loved the smell.

If you do what everyone else does, you will get what everyone else does.

Everyone asks me are you busy. I always say yes. Then they will say that there are so many people laid-off. I say, "yes, 10% are laid-off. I work for the 90% that are still working.

June 25, 2014 at 3:59 p.m.

TomHay

Isn't Taxes what you use to put a shingle roof on?

Mike H Said: Its obvious from the things I heard in my youth that there was a day when instead of Mexicans, people complained about the Irish, or the Poles, or the...

The only big difference then was they had to work or starve, politicians werent pandering for their vote, there was method to the madness, and there was plenty of work to be had.

In some ways, not much has changed. Find a way to compete, or go hungry. It is still the capitalist way.

And for as much as I complain about taxes, they were higher then than they are now.

June 25, 2014 at 3:02 p.m.

Mike H

It's obvious from the things I heard in my youth that there was a day when instead of Mexicans, people complained about the Irish, or the Pole's, or the...

The only big difference then was they had to work or starve, politicians weren't pandering for their vote, there was method to the madness, and there was plenty of work to be had.

And for as much as I complain about taxes, they were higher then than they are now.

June 25, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

TomHay

natty Said: Aw, the delusions of capitalism... There is the roofing trade and then there is the roofing business. As long as there exists 3rd world countries supplying all of the cheap ass labor, nothing will be fair. It is all exploitative and a delusion.

We had the same problem over 40 years ago. Somehow I still always made money. Could be my boyish grin?

June 24, 2014 at 4:49 p.m.

Mike H

REVIVE THE AIRPLANE THREAD!!! LOL

June 24, 2014 at 1:18 p.m.

natty

Aw, the delusions of capitalism... There is the roofing trade and then there is the roofing business. As long as there exists 3rd world countries supplying all of the cheap ass labor, nothing will be fair. It is all exploitative and a delusion.

June 24, 2014 at 5:18 a.m.

Chuck2

My profit margin goal of 100% is unattainable but I think it is the right goal because the closer I get to it, the better I did. I spent many years making a lot of money for a lot of other people and other entities. Today I'm not interested in making anyone elses money for them. Isn't that something they should be doing for themselves? There are literally thousands and thousands of what I call "leaches" out there that make their money off of other businesses. Often selling them things they don't need to the detriment of the buyer.

So what is the right amount to charge for your services? My answer is the most you can get without just flat out ripping people off. And what's the right profit margin? My answer is the highest amount possible while maintaining a legitimate business. This usually involves keeping the "leaches" picked off.

« Back To Roofers Talk
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

APOC - Banner - Loyalty Program - Jan 24
English
English
Español
Français

User Access

Leap - Sidebar - LeapPay - Feb 24
ABC Supply - Sidebar Ad - Solar Distribution
USG - Sidebar - Fire
DaVinci - Sidebar Ad - New Choice For Traditional Beauty
Malco Tools - Sidebar Ad - Metal Benders
Roofle - Sidebar Ad - RoofQuote Pro